Irrigation system banging noise

Old 06-17-20, 04:34 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Irrigation system banging noise

We have an older irrigation system, this season we suddenly have very loud banging noise when certain zones turn on, it does not happen to all zones. What could be the problem and how can we fix it. I'm afraid the pipes might break or start leaking.
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-20, 08:44 AM
Received 356 Votes on 332 Posts
Sounds like it might be water hammer which can occur when a valve opens or closes.

Have you been able to isolate where the noise is coming from?

Old 06-17-20, 09:04 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 604 Votes on 557 Posts
Where is the sound coming from? That will give you a good clue as to the cause or at least where to start looking.

Old 06-17-20, 10:06 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 108 Votes on 100 Posts
My guess is the washers in one (or more) of the valves is going bad. When you figure out which zone it is, the valve can either be rebuilt or replaced.

Old 06-17-20, 11:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,049 Votes on 973 Posts
Are you on city water ?
It may be a good idea to confirm the house water pressure.
Water pressure gauge

Old 06-17-20, 01:00 PM
L
Irrigation system

It sounds like inside the house in the basement where the pipes go out to the controller. It does not happen on every zone, so can it possibly be water hammer, thought that would be for all zones.

Old 06-17-20, 01:11 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 604 Votes on 557 Posts
I normally do not find water hammer when a valve is opened. If it is making noise when a zone just begins it's irrigation then it could be loose pipes banging. If it is occurring when a zone stops then I would suspect water hammer. Since water hammer is caused by the rapid closing of a valve you may have some zones that close quicker than others.

Old 06-18-20, 07:26 AM
Received 42 Votes on 35 Posts
Check to see if it is happening at the back flow preventer. That could transmit sound to where you are hearing it.

My back flow preventer bangs and chatters and spews a small amount water each spring when it is first reactivated after a drain-down for winter. If your system is allowing water pressure ahead of the back flow to go down between waterings its sound could be from that. It should not happen when the system is already pressurized and just changing from one zone to another.

Old 06-18-20, 10:29 AM
If it makes this noise at the same time & spot, I don't think there's anything in there. I gotta agree with most, that it's probably the water hammer doing it or probably something loose and shifting when it turns on.