Plumbing location in basement

Old 06-11-01, 06:51 PM
zalyx1
Visiting Guest
Question

Have modular home on wood basement. Plumber wants to run 3" drains under my duct work in basement which obviously cuts down my headroom from the point where the ductwork starts then across the width of my basement where there are no ducts. Have 2x10 joists in basement and split line of the two halves of house are all wood 2x10 8-10 inches wide. Drain needs to run from roughly the middle of the basement then through the split line (perpendicular) and out the back to septic. Inbetween the split line and the back of basement lies my ductwork which also runs perpendicular to the drain. There is at least 6-8 inches clearance between top of ductwork and ceiling.
Iv'e never seen this done before in any of the modulars iv'e looked at and wonder if he doesn't want to drill through joists .
Can someone please set me straight on this ?

Thanx

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-01, 07:05 PM
Structual conditions will dictate what you can and can not do, and drill holes for a 3" pipe in the floor joist is asking for trouble.

No building inspector will allow the much wood removed from the floor joint.

Old 06-11-01, 08:56 PM
zalyx1
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thanx Plumber 2000. Just needed another professional opinion. I'll ask if he can run it parrallel to joists to the exterior wall then drop it down and i can cover it when i finish basement.
By the way, nice website !