how to replace dip tube

Old 06-12-01, 05:26 AM
Visiting Guest
The dip tube in my gas water heater (Rheem Fury) is disintegrating. Yes, I missed the class action suit. I have read the previous messages regarding this subject, but I haven't seen any detailed instructions on how to replace the dip tube.

I don't know much about water heaters, but my husband is pretty handy. Can someone tell me where to purchase the dip tube and how to replace it?

Thanks.

Old 06-12-01, 06:22 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You can get a new dip tube at a plumbing supply house.

Shut water off at the heater, disconnect the cold water going into the tank, with a pipe wrench and a hammer unscrew the nipple on the top of the heater, pull the nipple out, the dip tube ie either connected to or right under this nipple.

Old 06-12-01, 08:25 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the quick response.

Old 06-12-01, 08:59 PM
Able Sashweight
Visiting Guest
Get a curved dip tube, one that has a 90 degree bend at the outlet end. This keeps the sediment in suspension, and keeps it from forming a layer at the botom of the tank.

Able

Old 06-12-01, 10:00 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Able?

What in the h*ll are you talking about, where did you learn how to do plumbing, inless I'm in the dark ages, I have never heard of or even seen such a thing, even if there was a dip tube like it, how do you expect to get that 90 degree inside the top of the tank?

Sediment will not stay in suspension, You have had one too many to drink.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: