Why glue laundry box to stand pipe?

Old 07-04-20, 03:22 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Why glue laundry box to stand pipe?

Replacing an old laundry box in my basement with Oatey Quadtro box. I have a two inch schedule 40 stand pipe coming up for the drain. The instructions say to cement the box to the PVC stand pipe but I'm questioning if this is necessary. I mean it is basically just a traditional stand pipe that is coming up into the box. Anyone have experience installing these? I'm asking because I had to clear out some drywall and cut the old box off off with a reciprocating saw becuse it was glued. Is there a good reason to cement the stand pipe to the box?

Thanks!

Old 07-04-20, 03:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Does that Quadtro box have the glue type fitting directly attached to the box ?
If you didn't glue the pipe to the fitting.... how would you keep them attached ?

The old style wall boxes had a large hole and the pipe just passed thru.

Old 07-04-20, 04:19 PM
M
It has a glue type fitting... But the stand pipe is vertical and firmly attahed to the wall stud. The box is firmly mounted to the wall studs with the supplied "ears." So it's not like you have to hold them together. I think a better question is how could you pull them apart? Honestly, I see no difference than if it was just a stand pipe with no box.

Old 07-04-20, 04:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
So your plan is to just push the box on top of the 2" pipe..... no glue ?

Old 07-04-20, 05:19 PM
M
Well... I didn't say that was my plan. But just looking at the arrangement, logically I don't see any benefit to gluing them together. That's why I asked... In case there is some reason I am missing. But it can't be to prevent leaks and it can't be to hold it together.

Old 07-04-20, 05:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
It helps support the pipe and ensure it doesnt slip out for any reason. And if there is a small overflow inside the box for any reason, (whether waste or water) it could help prevent a leak.

Old 07-04-20, 05:28 PM
M
Let's reword the question... Other than any obvious need to hold the assembly together, is there any compelling reason why the box should be cemented to the tip of the stand pipe?

Old 07-04-20, 05:32 PM
M
I thought of that "leak" situation but the inside of the box is flush all around with no lip or ridges. So if there were a leak or overflow it would run out onto the floor or into the wall. A glued pipe would do nothing for that situation.
And as far as supporting the pipe, I could just as easily take the box off and use the stand pipe by itself. The only thing I can think of is if the house or wall settled somehow and dropped down to where the stand pipe pulls out from the one inch socket. But that won't happen because the box and the stand pipe would drop the same. Even if they could come apart, the washer drain hose would still be 6 or 8 inches down the pipe. (I'm rationalizing this to myself).

Last edited by mwarney; 07-04-20 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-04-20, 05:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 737 Posts
Why not glue it to the pipe? What is the benefit of not gluing it to the box?

Old 07-04-20, 06:03 PM
M
Tolyn, The problem with this box setup is that you can't replace just the valves. So if one goes bad, you have to hack open the wall and cut off the stand pipe to remove the box. Huge pain, not to mention the stand pipe may be too short afterward. I just went through this because my supply valves were leaking.

Old 07-04-20, 06:18 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
I follow your logic and can't disagree since our "experts" can't provide a plausible reason that it has to be glued. However, all abs/pvc fittings are glued (or slip joint fastened) and meant to be a solid fitting. This I believe is code. The likely hood of it leaking is very small but it's still there. I have seen drain waste and vent pipe even when glued come apart for various reason (shifting/settling, drying out, vibration, etc...).
Glue it and make it right. What are the chances you'll ever need to rip it out again?

mwarney voted this post useful.
Old 07-08-20, 09:55 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 419 Upvotes on 372 Posts
I'd imagine the main reason is to ensure the drain never slips out. Yours might be well-secured, but many probably aren't.

If you don't want to cement it, don't. I doubt the world will end... but don't blame us if it does!

Old 07-08-20, 05:46 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Other than any obvious need to hold the assembly together, is there any compelling reason why the box should be cemented to the tip of the stand pipe?
Not that I can see. .............

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: