Exterior Drain Backup Problem

Old 07-09-20, 09:54 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exterior Drain Backup Problem

I have an exterior drain at bottom of steps from a walk out basement. When it rained hard the drain would push out tp and crap. However, today it did not rain but was washing more than normal and running dishwasher more and toilets more than usual to. The same thing happened nut worse. The county has come and says their end was fine. I am just trying to figure out the solution to this problem.

Last edited by Zorfdt; 07-10-20 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Updated thread title

Top Answer

07-10-20, 04:33 AM
beelzebob
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
In most locations it is illegal to discharge output from a sump pump or surface drain into the municipal sanitary sewer system. Any evaporation from the surface drain is likely a health hazard. I would cap it off and come up with a different approach for draining if flooding is a problem.

Old 07-09-20, 10:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Have you had a plumber out to snake or jet the drains?

The ultimate solution is to install a backwater valve on your main sewer line to prevent any backups.

Old 07-10-20, 04:29 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
And as a side note a thread title "please help" doesn't tell us anything. Everyone coming to this site needs help. A brief title that describes your problem is helpful and will flag the correct expert to help you.

Old 07-10-20, 04:33 AM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
In most locations it is illegal to discharge output from a sump pump or surface drain into the municipal sanitary sewer system. Any evaporation from the surface drain is likely a health hazard. I would cap it off and come up with a different approach for draining if flooding is a problem.

CasualJoe, Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 07-10-20, 10:39 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I went ahead and updated the post title so more members will see it and are more likely to respond.

I think you should get a plumber out with a snake and possibly a camera snake. My guess is there's a partial clog in the main drain. This allows the line to drain when there's a "normal" amount of water/waste going through it, but when there's more than normal, it backs up.

I'd recommend a camera snake first because it will allow the plumber (and you) to see what's actually happening. If there's just a clog that can be snaked out, great! Sometimes tree roots can cause these partial clogs. Then jetting or a cutter bit on a snake will clear them - but roots come back, though there are some things to decrease their growth.

Let us know how it goes!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: