Moving/new outdoor spigot through stucco

Old 07-13-20, 08:05 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Moving/new outdoor spigot through stucco

Hello,

I am building a deck extension and it would run too close to an existing outdoor spigot so I need to move it. After investigating where it goes out through the crawlspace, it seems easiest to move it horizontally through to an adjacent wall rather than vertically inside an exterior wall. In order to do this, I will need to drill through the exterior (adjacent) wall which is stucco on the exterior and put in a new frostproof sillcock. I haven't ever tried to drill through stucco and want to make sure I don't screw it up and need to repair that as well. What is the best tool (drill bit type) to make the hole and can I just mount the new sillcock to the stucco with screws through the flange on it? Are there any other details I need to consider? The new sillcock I bought is a 6" with fittings to run pex to the original copper line where I will have to sweat on a pex fitting. I have some left over pex pipe I plan on using even though it is red (I'll mark it). See attached picture of old spigot and new.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-20, 02:52 PM
Z
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
hi Dave -

I think you would use a hammer drill with a masonry bit to drill the hole, and I think you can use tapcon screws to fasten the bib right to the wall. But the screws are blue and may not be an acceptable color.

I think when you drill the hole you have to make sure the hole slants such that the hose bib slopes down to the outside for proper draining.

Pretty sure that’s all correct but I am not a pro for sure. I have done this with a brick wall – not stucco. But I think the procedure is the same. (You can rent hammer drills and bits).

I think the pros will be along.

just thought: (all foggy but I think maybe you can also get gray tapcon screws, maybe not, but easy enough to check)

Old 07-14-20, 10:13 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 91 Votes on 85 Posts
Agree with Zoesdad with the hammer drill. Though it depends on what's behind the stucco. Some stucco is only 1/4" of cement over plywood or foam, in which case a 1/4" masonry bit on a standard drill, used to drill a circular pattern of holes would work just fine. Then follow-up with a 1" or appropriately-sized wood bit. In a pinch, a wood spade bit would probably get through it, though probably destroy the bit in the process.

But if there's cement, block, or brick behind it, you'll probably need a more serious drill and drill bit.

Tapcons can definitely work too. As can nylon or lead anchors and galvanized screws.