Plumbing Repair Cost??

Old 06-13-01, 02:55 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

We are currently in the process of buying our first home in Orange County, CA & have just recently found that the plumbing is run entirely on the outside of the house!. My husband says that in the back yard the outside wall looks like you opened up a wall and are looking inside of it. Unfortunately, we were not able to go completely into the backyard (due to large dogs)when looking at the house initially. It wasn't until we had the inspection yesterday that this was discovered. Of course this is a problem that we never thought about. Our realtor cehcked into today & said that it was legal.Can anyone give me an idea of how hard this would be to repair or an appoxiamte cost to have someone do it for us?

Thanks in advance for any information or advice!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-01, 11:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

My guess is that this house must be on a slab and the original plumbing has been replaced with the least expensive method by the seller. OR, it was done that way to begin with. Either way (in my opinion, only)it is shoddy.
It will NOT be inexpensive to do it better (running all of the pipes in the walls or slab).
I'm not familiar with CA real estate laws, but you may have grounds for legally getting out of the purchase of this property AND getting your earnest money back (IF you want to). Or, you may be able to renegotiate the purchase price to cover the cost of correcting it, or get the seller to pay for correcting it by escrowing enough of their proceeds.
Although this may be allowed by local code there, it is unsightly and will detract from the value of the home.
You may be able to build a wall over it for less cost, depending upon what you're dealing with.
In any case, do NOT close on this property until you consult an attorney. Personally, I wouldn't accept it without getting a concession from the seller, since you did not know about it prior to your purchase offer.
Good Luck!