Basement Drain Sealing.. Best way

Old 08-17-20, 09:37 AM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Basement Drain Sealing.. Best way

We live out in the country with septic/well so no city water. Our house is a 2 story with a full basement. There is no sump pump or sewage ejection pump. We do have drain tile around the house for water. Rarely, if ever, do we get water in the basement.

A couple weeks ago we got 8-10" of rain in a short period of time. We found water in the basement the next morning and to our surprise found a drain under the carpet in one of the spare rooms. It is a 2" drain with p trap (standard) that leads out of the house and connects to the drain tile around the house. the water was bubbling up from that drain.

We had jetter clean out to clean it out and they found roots and that the pipe was rusting/rotting and falling apart. I called my local plumber and he said they can't reline a 2" pipe and to fix it would mean jackhammering up the floor to install a new pipe.

So, since this is the ONLY drain in our basement is it safe to seal it? We are getting the entire basement done with epoxy in a couple weeks (no more flooring down there.. haha!) and want to know if I should just leave it, seal it with a ball (a raquetball fits perfect) and maybe throw some concrete over it.

Or expanding foam down the pipes and then seal it with concrete?

Looking for ideas. If sealing it up is a BAD idea I'm open to hearing that as well. For example, what will happen if we seal it up and get another 10" of rain.. will the water find another path of least resistance? If so, where may that be?

Again, it's a drain we didn't know existed for 15 years, never had an issue with and never use and never will use.

Thanks!

Old 08-17-20, 10:25 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 972 Votes on 893 Posts
I would seal the floor drain. Plumbing suppliers sell plugs that you can stick in the pipe and tighten a wing nut to seal the pipe. That way you could seal it but it's easy to remove if you ever need to.

Old 08-17-20, 10:43 AM
L
So I put one of those in and just leave it as is? I was hoping to seal it and concrete over it before we get our floors done.

It's not a huge deal. The pipe is probably over 1/2 gone with corrosion and will most likely collapse on itself in the next few years.

Old 08-17-20, 11:40 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 972 Votes on 893 Posts
If the pipe is in really bad shape then I'd try hydraulic cement or you can stuff it with concrete or mortar.

Old 08-17-20, 12:47 PM
L
I was thinking remove the plug that is in the side, shoot expanding foam down the pipe and trap, plug the holes so the foam expands down, let it dry, trim it up from the drain hole then fill it in with cement (or mortar.. that's a good idea too.. I think I have that laying around).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: