Replace Saddle Valve

Old 08-25-20, 07:59 AM
S
Received 3 Votes on 1 Post
Replace Saddle Valve

I recently purchased a new refrigerator that has an ice machine. My house has a saddle valve connecting the water line to the refrigerator.

I am not getting enough water pressure for the ice machine, and I understand that saddle valves are prone to leaking/failure so want to replace it.

What would you suggest for replacing? Soldering a T with some sort of valve? I've read about push fittings (Home Depot carries Sharkbite), but I see mixed thoughts on those.

Would appreciate your thoughts and what parts you suggest. I've never soldered before but have someone that can show me the ropes.

Thanks!

Popular Reply

09-08-20, 06:59 AM
Spaceace
I ended up using a Sharkbite fitting. Installed it over the weekend and so far it is working great!

Old 08-25-20, 09:36 AM
J
Received 88 Votes on 81 Posts
Please post a picture of where the valve is now for better suggestions.
We have no idea if it's one just tapped into a line under the sink, or tapped into a main line some place.
And your right saddle valves often are trouble and should be replaced.

Spaceace voted this post useful.
Old 08-25-20, 09:41 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 788 Votes on 725 Posts
I don't know where your current saddle valve is located. I would install a T. Personally I don't like Shark Bite style fittings and prefer sweated or crimped. I would install a shutoff valve behind the fridge and make the transition there to the ice maker flex line.

Zorfdt voted this post useful.
Old 08-25-20, 11:09 AM
Received 318 Votes on 285 Posts
The problem with a valve behind the fridge is accessibility. Assuming there is a basement, locate the valve there just below where the line goes through the floor. Most likely you'll want the valve or tee fitting were the current saddle valve is. You'll need to remove it so why not replace it at that point? Why bother making new joints? And Sharkbite fittings is especially good for that application. Once it's on you'll most likely never need to touch it. But you can if need be.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 08-25-20, 12:17 PM
S
Thanks for the suggestion on the photo.

Here is the current saddle valve. It is in the basement near the refrigerator. I already have a hole through the floor for the water line to the refrigerator.

The valve is attached to a water line carrying water through the house.

Thanks again for your advice.

Old 08-25-20, 04:29 PM
I have almost the same set up. I put 1/4 turn Shark bite. Quick easy and done

Old 08-25-20, 04:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 854 Votes on 782 Posts
Personally I'd turn the shutoff all the way closed, disconnect the braided line and then hold a bucket and turn the valve all the way open and see what kind of pressure you've got.

Old 09-02-20, 08:08 AM
S
Norm,

Did you add a Sharkbite Tee and then the shutoff valve? Wondering how you set yours up.

Thanks!

Old 09-02-20, 08:13 AM
Mine happened to be at the end of the line. So I just had to connect a valve at the end. Straight or right angle, made no difference.

Spaceace voted this post useful.
Old 09-08-20, 06:59 AM
S
I ended up using a Sharkbite fitting. Installed it over the weekend and so far it is working great!

Dan1973, Norm201, Zorfdt voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: