Gas boiler firing up procedure shuts off all other gas appliances.

Old 08-31-20, 12:07 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas boiler firing up procedure shuts off all other gas appliances.

This morning I woke up in cold and noticed that also my gas water heater was not running. After manually starting water heater I noticed when attempting to start my Munchkin boiler that the water heater shut off as well and coincidentally my wife noticed that the flame cooking gas range went off. The boiler was running for 10+ years there is no change in piping or any gas appliance installation so I was wondering what could cause suddenly this situational where gas boiler call for flame and it shuts off all other appliances in the house? Gas range, gas dryer, and gar water heater runs fine/normally unless the Munchkin boiler receive a call for heat. Thanks

Top Answer

09-01-20, 11:25 PM
PJmax
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
It's not a problem with the boiler. It may just be what is ever regulating your gas pressure is not responding quickly enough to the demand of the boiler..

Old 08-31-20, 08:49 PM
Group Moderator
You are losing supply pressure....... is this natural gas or propane ?

With both there are pressure regulators involved. Propane would have at least one near the tanks.
Natural gas could have one near or part of the gas meter.

If you haven't shut off any gas valves recently it would be best to call your provider and have the operating pressure checked in the house.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 09-01-20, 05:08 AM
Thank you PJmax for your reply. It is natural gas, and the meter is inside in my basement with no gas regulator so as you suggested probably part of the meter.

Old 09-01-20, 10:19 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
I agree with giving your gas company a call. It sounds like the service pressure dropped significantly. They'll send someone out in an hour or two and check everything out.

Old 09-01-20, 01:12 PM
I will definitely call the gas company tomorrow just to be sure, but one thing I wanted to mention. I have 5 gas appliances (in order from the meter) 1 - 30000 Btu gas insert, 2 - gas dryer, 3 - 40 Gallon water heater, 4 - gas range, 5 - Munchkin 80M boiler.
Today I tried to start the 1, 2, 3, 4 (everything except the boiler) and the flames on the gas range stayed on, they did not even flicker when another appliance started. So I do not want to discount also the possibility that the problem is the boiler, potentially the gas valve on the boiler if this makes sense...
I know that the boiler is by far the one with the highest demand of gas from those 5 appliances, but the fact that it will not start even if it is the only appliance calling for action and it will actually turn off the pilot on my 40 gallon water heater is bothering me.
I really no changes to the setup for multiple years.

Old 09-01-20, 11:25 PM
Group Moderator
It's not a problem with the boiler. It may just be what is ever regulating your gas pressure is not responding quickly enough to the demand of the boiler..

ferd42, Zorfdt voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: