Constant running water

Old 06-14-01, 10:21 AM
Visiting Guest
Water seems to be constantly running througout the house. No leaks found in house. When the water is cut off from the main valve - it stops. If it is cut off at the faucets or other locations, it keeps running - any ideas? I am hooked up to city water system

Old 06-14-01, 10:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Check your toilets.
A flapper may not be sealing properly, and may need to be replaced. This will cause exactly what you're describing.
Good Luck!

Old 06-15-01, 11:43 AM
Visiting Guest
Constantly loud running water

I purchased a flapper and installed it yesterday but the water still continues to run. I tried process of elimination. I cut off all the valves to the bathrooms, and faucets inside and out. However the water was still was running. I then cut each one back on trying to locate the problem. No luck. It seems that the water is the loudest in the kitchen, hot water heater and where the washer and dryer is. The only time the water is not running is run the main water valve is cut off. Also after the water has been off for a while, when I turn it back on, it has air in the lines. Any other suggestions. Thanks for your help.

Old 06-15-01, 01:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Are you on a slab?

Old 06-15-01, 05:13 PM
Visiting Guest
Yes, I am on a concrete slab.

Old 06-20-01, 10:24 AM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bad news, my friend. My house is on a slab and I experienced the same problem. I had a leak under the slab.

Option 1) Hire a plumber with a leak detector and pay big bucks for him/her to use it. The detector is supposed to indicate exactly where the leak is under the slab. The plumber will need to jack hammer through the slab to fix the leak. Very messy... and if the plumber misses the mark, it could mean multiple holes drilled through your slab.

Option 2) Run new plumbing through the attic. It is more expensive now, but if you have one leak under the slab, you will have another, and another and so on. It may be best to bite the bullet and change out the whole thing.

I was surprised to find that my homeowner's insurance pays for any damage caused by the necessity to make repairs. For example, if the leak is under ceramic tile, insurance pays for the cost of removeing the tile, repairing the hole in the floor and replacing the tile. I had to remove a built-in entertainment center, which left me to also replace carpet and repair the ceiling and walls. All the damage was paid for by insurance. Cool huh?

Good luck.

Old 06-21-01, 11:30 AM
Received 11 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Just a side note....If you have a swamp cooler check the float level on it. This will also cause the water to run and some have the drain connected to a drain line into the plumbing system.
Although, the Old Guy's leak under the slab is probally more accurate....unfortunately!!!!

Good luck..............

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: