Whole house sewer problem

Old 09-10-20, 11:45 AM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whole house sewer problem

Our house appears to be clogged at the main pipe or air vent. I was about to call the plumber, however, decided to give it another shot snaking outside vent and appears it fixed the issue, at least temporarily.

Symptoms: When taking a shower, kitchen sink gargles. Both toilets are very slow to flush. Waste disposal flushes all the crap into utility sink downstairs. When running utility sink, the washer drain gargles a couple feet away. I tried to snake from the basement access hole, but could not pull up anything. When I snaked from outside vent, some crap did come up, however, not as much as I would expect would clog a 3 inch pipe. I could not break loose the floor access holes, however, if experts suggest, I will give it my best. We have town sewer and they okey'ed on their end.

Questions: Could the air vent cause this issue? Is it even possible to clog it up with sewer? The reason why I zeroed in on the air vent is when I opened the smaller access hole, toilets started flushing.

Old 09-10-20, 12:24 PM
Received 99 Votes on 89 Posts
When taking a shower, kitchen sink gargles. Both toilets are very slow to flush.
Sounds to me like a classic venting issue. Either the system isn't vented properly or the vent is clogged.

xxhaimbondxx voted this post useful.
Old 09-10-20, 07:15 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 172 Votes on 153 Posts
I would give it a 95% chance that it's a clog in your main drain. Probably at the U-trap (those two cleanouts), or possibly beyond it. You can start snaking at the small cleanout on the vertical stack, but I think you're going to need to get into the U trap.

If you have a propane torch, heating the cap might help loosen the putty or whatever's locking it in.

Old 09-23-20, 03:49 PM
X
Decided to go with pro after a few snaking attempts that only helped for a few days each time. It was expensive for a 10 minute worth of work, but live and learn....

If anyone in the future reading, to remove the cleanout caps simply chisel them out with a few love taps, then replace them with new for a few bucks. Forget wrenches, torch, heat gun etc. Obviously hit the caps, not the pipe. Start with the street side first! If you don't, you risk a poop flood in your home.

Old 09-23-20, 05:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,397 Votes on 1,294 Posts
So where was the problem ?

Old 09-23-20, 05:32 PM
X
Street side of the trap was almost completely clogged. I may have only poked a little hole with my snaking efforts.

Old 09-23-20, 05:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,397 Votes on 1,294 Posts
I love that second bathroom connection. That certainly wouldn't pass inspection.
It looks like it's leaking. That water running down will accelerate pipe rusting at the joints.

Old 09-23-20, 05:54 PM
X
They all look like that, but i don't see any moisture. The nuts were loose on those clamps though.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: