Connect hdpe to oex and copper connectors. For indoor..

Old 10-14-20, 10:34 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Connect hdpe to oex and copper connectors. For indoor..

I need to connect 3/4 blue hdpe pipe with
1. 1/2 pex
2. 3/4 female threaded adapter.

The off the shelf Orbit blu-lock push and release system does not work as they leak and they do not support constant water pressure for my usage indoor... long story

What would you suggest i can permanently make the two connections with no leaks?

Old 10-14-20, 11:14 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I use barbed fittings and hose clamps into HDPE pipe. I will use a plastic male NPT fitting into a brass or steel female fitting but not the other way around. It doesn't matte what the barbed fitting is made of as plastic and brass have both worked well for me.

It is much easier to slide the pipe onto a barbed fitting if the heat the end of the pipe with a torch or heat gun.

Old 10-15-20, 09:53 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
I agree with everything Pilot Dane mentioned. I always use barbed fittings with PE/HDPE pipe.

To connect HDPE to PEX, I'd use two connectors, a barbed > Male threaded fitting, and a PEX crimped to Female threaded fitting. Then teflon tape and screw the two threaded fittings together.
There may exist some kind of special fitting to transition, but I don't usually bother with those.

I've never used Blu Lock fittings, but I do see that they are for outdoor irrigation use only, which implies to me they probably don't undergo the same testing and certification other fittings used for indoor pressurized plumbing do. But I haven't read the specs on them to know for sure.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: