Regluing Old PVC Pipe Joints

Old 10-17-20, 04:57 AM
G
Gen
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Regluing Old PVC Pipe Joints

I have a sump pump coupling that is leaking at the bottom joint and spraying out. Can I get the pipe out of there cleanly enough to insert and re-glue a new piece? I figure I'd cut the pipe below about 10" and couple the new piece in place. How does this sound? If OK, how do I clean out the old joint? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-20, 05:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
You have to remove all the glue from the joint. Not too big of a deal on the pipe where you can scrape/sand it smooth but can be a challenge inside the fitting. Any reason you can't just cut it out and install new?

Old 10-17-20, 05:05 AM
G
Gen
I don't think there's enough room after we'd cut it out to install a new coupling. The top joint butts right against the underside of the deck.

Old 10-17-20, 05:37 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 628 Posts
Is this for a sewer or a downspout?

Old 10-17-20, 05:42 AM
G
Gen
What we are looking at is for a sump pump...

Old 10-17-20, 06:30 AM
Received 394 Votes on 368 Posts
Is never a good idea to re-glue PVC pipe, the solvent in the glue melts the material so that the two pieces flow together, any left over glue can interfere with the process and produce a weak joint.

Plus the cost of fittings is not worth the effort and time, just cut it all out, new fittings, new glue and be done with it!

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 10-17-20, 06:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 714 Votes on 661 Posts
Cant see what the rest of that line (above and below) does or where it goes which makes a big difference. You can't cut out and replace a section of pvc when neither side has any play. (That's what a fernco coupling is for.) And you also can't reuse a joint that has been glued or partially glued. And the outside of the pipe looks pretty cruddy... as cheap as pipe is i would replace as much as you need to, rather than trying to clean it, and replace more than just 10".

Old 10-17-20, 07:03 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 128 Votes on 119 Posts
I agree with the others, removing and re-gluing PVC is usually ends up with a poor outcome.

BUT... with the way it looks, it's possible it was never glued. Usually a poorly glued joint ends up in a tiny leak, not as much of a leak as you have there. Which makes me think it was just pushed in.
Also, with that much of a leak, I would check where it goes from there. I'd think there's probably a back-up or clog in the pipe further down.