1.25 sink drain to 1.50 P trap?

Old 10-25-20, 02:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1.25 sink drain to 1.50 P trap?

Bathroom sink has been making a bad odor. I though the P trap needed cleaning. When I went to unscrew the plastic wing nut things, I noticed the part between the sink drain and P trap was loose. I am surprised no water had leaked out from it.

I measured it and the drain pipe from the sink outer diameter is 1.25" and inside the trap is 1.50". There was a little plastic washer looking thing but it has an extremely large amount of play on the 1.25" pipe. I can have that plastic washer on the 1.25" and stick a screw driver shaft between the washer and pipe, that is how much play there is.

Is this just a super worn out washer? Or did the previous owner of my house Jimmy rig this? Do I need to somehow make my sink drain pipe 1.50" or is there a big washer that can accommodate the 1.25" to 1.50"? I don't know what I am looking for at Home Depot or Lowe's so if you guys know what I need it would be greatly appreciated if you tell me so I can go buy this to fix this.

Old 10-25-20, 03:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 938 Votes on 856 Posts
Typically 1 1/2" trap kits will come with 2 washers depending on the size of the tailpiece... you use one or the other. Replacing the trap is a cheap way to get rid of the odor.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 10-26-20, 05:06 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 896 Votes on 826 Posts
There are two sizes of slip washers that go over the drain pipe. They are the same diameter on the outside but the inner hole will either be 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" to fit your sink's drain pipe.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 10-27-20, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pilot Dane thank you so much, that is the exact information I needed and was able to fix my issue thanks to your comment and picture!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: