Gas Range Hookup

Old 11-05-20, 09:17 AM
Received 6 Votes on 2 Posts
Question Gas Range Hookup

Here is what the gas line looks like. I'm purchasing a gas range. My old one was electric.
The pipe leading away goes through the wall and on the other side is a gas heating stove.
Can a plumber tie the new gas range into this setup that is pictured? I'm assuming he'll put on 2 shut off valves or something like that?

Old 11-05-20, 09:27 AM
Received 370 Votes on 335 Posts
Ideally a new gas line should be install tapping off the main gas line which normally would be 3/4 and tap down to 1/2. Tapping off an existing 1/2 line that is already tapped for another item may cause gas flow problems.
Yes a shut off valve will need to be installed at the appliance location (in the same room). Usually this would be directly behind the new range. Because this is difficult to get at I also include a gas valve shut off up stream where it's easy to access (usually in the basement just as it goes through the floor.

Old 11-05-20, 09:53 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 203 Votes on 181 Posts
It looks like that's a 3/4" pipe, but it's a bit hard to tell. If so, there's probably enough available capacity to split that to the gas stove and the range. But the only way to know for sure is to take a look at your whole gas piping layout and determine how other appliances are connected.

You will need 2 shutoff valves.

Seems like a pretty easy project for a plumber, but again, depends on the rest of your gas piping we can't see.

Old 11-05-20, 10:15 AM
Received 6 Votes on 2 Posts
Thank you for your replies.
Yes, it's 3/4". The rest of the gas pipe goes through the wall to the vent free stove...its about 8 inches long then turns into the wall.
The gas heating stove in the living room and the gas range will be the only gas appliances in my home. Naturally I only use the heating stove in the winter.
I'm buying the gas range from HD. Installation is $19.99. Yep, that's right. He said if I have the gas line behind the stove they can hook it up.
I didn't think that having something else going to the gas line would be a problem. I wasn't thinking.

Old 11-05-20, 05:24 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 203 Votes on 181 Posts
HD won't connect the range in this situation. If you read the fine print of your installation, they'll only make the connection if there's a shutoff valve there.

Unfortunately you'll need to get your own plumber in to add a tee and disconnect. He will have to turn off the gas at the meter, disconnect the heating stove, and reconfigure the piping. Your water heater and possibly furnace pilot will need to be re-lit. Not a huge project, but not something the appliance installer will do.

Dawter voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: