Toilet will not flush stool & large amounts of Toilet Paper

Old 06-17-01, 07:50 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question

This is silly but true. When I first bought my home brand new 3 years ago i was able to flush stool down the toilet. Then I needed to replace the chain and ball (Description: a U Shape that has arms and attaches to the plastic tube, the chain is connected to the handle) that enables the water pressure to go down the drain. Today and for the past 6 months stool and large amounts of toilet paper clog up the toilet. Is there something I have wrong. Plus I use to be able to just push the handle and the toilet would flush now I need to hold it down until the water goes down.

Thanks for your time,

Tom Rydel

Old 06-21-01, 01:08 PM
Received 7 Votes on 4 Posts
Not silly, but hopefully an easy fix too. The item you replaced is called the flapper. I am thinking when you replaced it you did not adjust the length on the chain correctly, sometimes this can be tricky but you should be able to do it.
The chain length must be long enough to allow the flapper to seal when closed, to prevent your toilet from running all the time or once every two to five minutes. It also has to be short enough, so when you flush the toilet the flapper will be lifted high enough to "float" in the tank allowing plenty of water to flow to the blow.
One other thing to check while you have the cover off of the tank is the proper water level when filled. You may have moved the float, preventing the tank from fully filling.

Good luck.........

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: