Slow running tub drain

Old 12-21-20, 05:26 AM
Received 1,100 Upvotes on 1,000 Posts
Slow running tub drain

So this is something I have never come across. My sons shower/tub drain is slow. I know the problem, long hair and soap, just like his sink drain that I cleaned out last summer.

I checked the trap, it is fully glued and the position of the trap is in the joist space but it's turned such that the trap is directly below the interior wall between the bath and the adjoining room where the access panel is located.

If I have to get to it either I will have to take up the carpet and remove a section of sub floor or open the ceiling of the laundry room below.

Another option is that I could cut the pipe from the tub overflow which would then get me in the pipe to the trap about 18" down to fish/snake the line?

I've have never used chemicals but have read enough to question their performance!

Old 12-21-20, 05:54 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,759 Upvotes on 1,572 Posts
You can clean the trap from the tub above. Remove the stopper or strainer and snake out the drain from there. Also, most home centers and plumbing stores sell a plastic tool about 16" long with barbes on the side. You can shove it down the drain and it snags the hair and soap globs.

Zorfdt voted this post useful.
Old 12-21-20, 01:24 PM
T
Received 86 Upvotes on 76 Posts
I'll probably get some pushback, but I suggest you consider a chemical product if you don't have a septic system. I used a Drano product several times years ago with good results. Now I have a septic and wouldn't use it due to the potential enzyme issues.

Old 12-21-20, 02:53 PM
Received 663 Upvotes on 586 Posts
DON"T USE A CHEMICAL!
After you get the clog out (I used a zip stripe) took about ten tries to clear the clog, the drain now runs very good. I had this problem for years and just last week I found the best thing ever to prevent hair and debris from clogging the tub drain.

It's called the TUB SHROOM. It's fantastic! I highly recommend it. $12 bucks at Lowes.

I can't say enough about this product. It works. In one week I have totally cleared the drain twice. I was under the impression my tub drain was sloped in error and considered ripping it up to correct it. But this product solved the problem.

One other thing I have found in past years. If this is a trip lever tub stopper
(brass most likely) they can if not used seize from calcium build up. Sometimes it' can be tough to get them out. Replace with the plastic ones if need be.

Old 12-21-20, 03:00 PM
if you don't have a septic system
I do but I had not thought about those small snakes, I'll give that a try as look as I can find one long enough, that trap is set pretty low!

Norm, looks like a perfect stocking stuffer!

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 12-21-20, 03:05 PM
The enzyme chemicals for septic system is OK, since it's an organic bacteria that breaks down the sewage.

Old 12-21-20, 03:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,415 Upvotes on 3,063 Posts
Interesting device Norm.
I'm going to get one for my sisters who have an un-ending supply of drain clogging hair.

They make the choice confusing and convoluted in offering many different products.
I'd rather the stainless steel one which is not available now.

Tub Shroom..... pick one.... any one.

Old 12-21-20, 03:31 PM
I bought the ULTRA version. I like the way it's constructed. But I didn't have a choice when I bought it. Lowes only had this version sitting in grab box down one of the isles. Glad I didn't need to choose.

By the way it comes with three different rubber inserts depending on the size drain.

Remove the screwed in strainer from the tub and insert this one.

Old 12-24-20, 10:18 AM
I lucked out, removed the pop up stopper and there it was, a nest of hair!

Got the shroom on order!

Norm201 voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: