How much to tighten beveled washer

Old 02-22-21, 11:22 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How much to tighten beveled washer

Hello,

I have an old utility sink probably from the 50s. The tap has a packing nut and what was the remains of a beveled washer that was almost gone. My question is, when replacing the beveled washer, how tight do I tighten the screw. When I tighten it all the way it pushes into to washer a bit bulging it out/down. Is this correct? I always thought when tightening tap washers the screw should be snug so it won't come loose.
I'm using the same screw that was removed, but I'm sure the washer was old as the faucet. Should the beveled washer remain unchanged when the screw is tight? Maybe I need a shorter screw?

Old 02-22-21, 09:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,412 Votes on 1,306 Posts
Beveled washer ? The seat washer ?

That would be the one held in place with a brass screw. The screw just needs to be snug. No need to distort the new washer. Sometimes it takes trying a different washer until a correctly sealing one is found. I buy the assortment kits so that I always have plenty of different sized ones on hand.

Old 02-23-21, 04:48 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks. This is the washer...

Old 02-23-21, 04:50 PM
Received 318 Votes on 285 Posts
I always try to replace with a bevel style even if flat style was original. I usually snug it pretty tight.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: