Bathtub Drain Remove and Replace

Old 03-12-21, 11:27 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Bathtub Drain Remove and Replace

I am trying to remove the drain from the bathtub. It is on a slab foundation with only top access. I tried several tools and only managed to distort the cross pieces in the old drain. I am looking for any suggestions on how to proceed. It has been installed for 30 years.

I was thinking dremel tool and do a vertical cut. Maybe there is a trick I do not know about?

Old 03-12-21, 01:44 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 962 Votes on 883 Posts
Penetrating oil can't reach where it needs to be. Brute force and cutting are the only options I know of. If you have to cut it I don't cut all the way through as you don't want to damage the tub or threads in the drain. I get as close as I dare then I pry, tearing the metal along the cut line.

Old 03-12-21, 05:39 PM
I
I just removed 38 year old bathtub, and it was a challenge. I bought the bathtub drain removal tool from a local hardware store (see photo), which cost $12. But wouldn't turn.

I sprayed WD40, all around the drain, then tapped around the drain with a plier. Sprayed more WD40, tapped some more. Waited about 20 minutes, sprayed more WD40, tapped some more, and it finally turned. Idea is the vibration on the drain helping the WD40 to seep through. It was a slow process, but worked for me...

Old 03-12-21, 06:14 PM
I tried that exact tool and the X brace down in the drain bent, real bad. I bought the reverse screw type plug tool. I had tried it before but did not remove some of the corrosion, nor did I hammer it like in the utube. Worthanother try and I will use the WD40 and tapping action.

Old 03-13-21, 09:25 AM
No luck with the easy out type tool. Used the Dremel with a fiberglass cutting wheel and dissected the whole part. Took about an hour. All set to reassemble. Thanks for the advise. Helped me get it done.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 03-13-21, 12:44 PM
Received 113 Votes on 100 Posts
Every situation is different, but perhaps you would have better luck using a penetrating oil rather than a lubricant like WD40. For future reference, WD40 is a poor penetrant.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: