Sump pump check valve stuck closed

Old 04-08-21, 02:09 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sump pump check valve stuck closed

So, my sump pump check valve just got stuck in the closed position. It's brand new, just installed today. It worked just fine, until about 5 hours after the installation. Btw, the pump goes off about every 45 minutes, so it's gone off successfully a few times during that time. When I noticed it was stuck, I turned the pump off and on again a couple of times and it suddenly became unstuck and worked. I'm writing this about an hour after this situation and it went off 1x successfully since then. Fingers crossed it continues to go off successfully.

What could cause it to become stuck?

Here is some info that seems important based on what I've found online :
- The check valve is installed just above the floor
​​- There is about 4-5 feet of piping above the check valve
- There is a weep hole drilled about 2-3 inches above the connection to the pump, about 45 degrees, angled down.
- I'm using a quiet check valve purchased from Lowes. It's clear so I can see through it and actually see the valve opening and closing (or in this case, staying closed).

From what I've been able to find, everyone that has this problem doesn't have a weep hole. But I have one. Could it have gotten clogged within just a few hours after install? If that's what happened, how do I prevent it from getting clogged?

What other issues could have caused it?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you!!!

Old 04-08-21, 05:00 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I have always used the traditional (clunk sound) check valves and have never had one stick. With yours low water pressure could be the cause but I doubt that since you have 4-5 feet of pipe above the valve. Since it's new I would return the valve and try another.

Old 04-08-21, 06:40 AM
T
Received 31 Upvotes on 25 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen to me with a new check valve. It stuck closed a day or two after I had installed it, then has worked perfectly over the next 8 years or so. Had me stumped, thought I installed it wrong, but verified it was indeed oriented correctly. The 1/8 weep hole was also there. It almost seemed as if the pump was running, but not pumping anything. Weird...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: