How do you trouble shoot a jetted tub pump?

Old 06-21-01, 11:28 AM
Visiting Guest
We recently moved into a house that has a jetted tub. It worked when we moved in.

The jetted tub pump is activated by air pressure button on top of the tub. The button is connected to the pump by a clear ~3/16 plastic tube. When pressing the button I am not getting a lot of resitance which leads me to believe that there may be an air leak and therefore not activating the pump.

Does anyone has advice on how to trouble shoot this problem?
Can you trigger the pump to come on in a different way?

Thank you in advance for your precious advise.

Betand

Old 06-21-01, 11:49 AM
Received 7 Votes on 4 Posts
Not fully familiar with the device you are talking about, but here is what I would do:

If you are albe to remove the plastic tubing, take it off and check for leaks. Easiest way is to place your finger over one end and suck on the other, producing a vacum in the tube. Place your tongue over the end in your mouth and hold it there. If there is no leak you will not feel a decrease in vacum.
If that checks good. Connect the the hose to the pump and blow into the tube. Did the pump come on? If it did the problem may be in the button or just a loose connection.
If if didn't come on than the problem is in the pump assemble itself. Possibly a bad diaphram in the switching module, bad or corroded contacts.

Good luck............

Old 06-23-01, 07:35 AM
masterjoe
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Ah-Ha! I gotcha...
I installed the same jet tub(AKA personal spa) in my bathroom as well with the same ON/OFF mechanism.
U R right; it uses a little amount of air pressure to trigger the pressure sensitive switch located at the end of the "tube". You probably have either a leak withing a tube or where it joints to the either end.
First, you should find a leak. If it's within a tube, I recommend to replace it. You can remove it, take it to hardware store and find a closest match. If it's located at the joints, you could put a thin tape around it(works as a gasket) or if you have a enough length, cut the end off to put in the fresh end. It's rather a simple fix.

Old 06-25-01, 07:28 PM
Visiting Guest
you have valuable advices from other fellows they have great advices i just want to say, it seems very awkward but it happens. the jetted tub motor will not come on if the tub is not filled with water.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: