Copper pipe hangers, OK for supply use?

Old 05-08-21, 08:57 AM
S
Received 26 Votes on 18 Posts
Copper pipe hangers, OK for supply use?

I'm looking at this product. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-3-...505450#overlay

The listing says it is a "Pipe hanger built to hold DWV pipes in place." I would use it for supply, not DWV. Is this OK? I've never seen or even heard of copper DWV, so it doesn't make sense to me why it would be for DWV and not supply, but I want to double check. Thanks!

Old 05-08-21, 09:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 997 Votes on 908 Posts
I think HD just has generic product info listed on that page. If you click on more product info, then FAQ, the specific product FAQ section says:

Q: Are there any pipe support products that will support pipes hanging below the joist?
A: The Copper and Steel Pipe Hooks, Copper Plated Milford Hangers and CTS J-Hooks are all capable of supporting pipes that hang down below the Joist or finished surfaces.

So if that is a copper plated Milford hanger, then yes, it is suitable for hanging copper supply pipes.

Old 05-08-21, 10:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,613 Votes on 1,485 Posts
Those hangers can be used to support any pipe.... and specifically copper pipes.
The DWV in the description listing is not accurate as there isn't a DWV pipe that small.

Old 05-11-21, 02:51 PM
Received 114 Votes on 101 Posts
The link took me to hangers for 3/4" and 1/2" pipe. I never heard of DWV that small so obviously those hangers are meant for potable water piping. .

I've never seen or even heard of copper DWV,
You obviously haven't been in many older homes. I remember a commercial/industrial plumbing contractor about 45 years ago that when asked (by a good customer) to do a small residential project all DWV was copper. In one case, an entire new home DWV system was piped with all copper. No PVC or ABS anywhere.

Old 05-11-21, 03:10 PM
Group Moderator
A nearby city of 25,000 is FILLED with houses that have copper DWV, (all the way out the roof) because their city code wouldn't allow anything else for the longest time. That city is made up of a large percentage of people who are opposed to any kind of change... and a few businessmen and tradesmen that sat on the city council didn't want to quit padding their pockets.

The past few years they became well known for passing an ordinance that would make it illegal to rent to immigrants who didn't have proof of citizenship.

Old 05-11-21, 07:04 PM
S
I've been in a fair number of older homes, but I don't usually ask my hosts if I can check out their pipes. The ones that I've paid attention to, it's usually been cast iron or galvanized. Was there a specific time period that copper DWV was common?

Old 05-11-21, 07:20 PM
Group Moderator
I'm thinking post-war housing when there probably was a glut of excess copper, on into the 60s and in this case, 70s too.

Old 05-12-21, 12:27 PM
S
Ah, that would make sense. I guess the homes that I'm familiar with are all too old. I've never lived in a house built later than the 1910s, and most of my friends and neighbors are in similar old houses. Most of what I've seen still has old cast iron, with PVC adapted into it from the newer fixtures.

Anyway, the copper hanger worked perfectly for what I needed it for, thank you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: