Bathtub popup drain does not stay down

Old 05-15-21, 09:34 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Bathtub popup drain does not stay down

I bought a new bathtub and had it professionally installed only to find out that the popup drain does not stay down - it clicks when pressed but then pops right back up to the same level as before. I got a replacement popup drain from the bathtub manufacturer and tried replacing just the top part (in the attached picture), but the new one has the same problem as before. At this point, I do not want to get yet another shipment from the manufacturer, as my house is on the market and I need to address this as soon as possible. Is there a way to try to fix this issue without having to replace the entire drain?

Old 05-15-21, 09:52 AM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
Does the pop-up latch when it is not installed? Could it be screwed too far into the drain? Just enough to keep it from latching? Hopefully there is enough thread to allow installing it loosely and still have it work.

Old 05-15-21, 11:57 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I think 2john02458 is on the right track. The pop-up mechanism is designed to work with a certain distance from the threads to the edge of the drain where it seals. If you tub hardware is a bit out of that range the stopper might not work and you need to adjust the height so it does work.

Old 05-15-21, 05:37 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
I bought a new bathtub and had it professionally installed only to find out that the popup drain does not stay down
I think I'd just call the installer back.

Old 05-20-21, 10:22 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
You can also get different stopper options if you can't get this working. Either a silicone cover, or a stopper.

Just shared two options that I've used before - but there are a bunch out there that will probably solve your problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: