water backing up from trap primer discharge hose

Old 05-15-21, 04:54 PM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
water backing up from trap primer discharge hose

I have a trap primer that connects from my laundry room sink to a discharge hose (not sure if that's the correct term) in the basement. The discharge hose travels about 20ft under cement and empties into the side of a floor drain. I've never had any issues with this until now. When I run the laundry room sink, for a brief moment water backs up from the black discharge hose shown in the picture below and spills out onto the cement (usually about 1 cup). I'm not sure if it's because there is an incomplete blockage? Once the water is running there's no more water backing up and it flows well into the floor drain. Any suggestions on how to fix this issue? The discharge hose is rubber and 5/8" internal diameter.

Old 05-20-21, 10:25 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 367 Upvotes on 327 Posts
My guess is a partial blockage. You might be able to snake that line, or possibly use some compressed air to blow it out. It probably got some gunk or maybe just a couple-year buildup of mildew and whatever else.

Old 05-20-21, 05:54 PM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Trap Primer Line Problem

I have a trap primer line that feeds off of my laundry room sink. From the sink faucet it goes down to the basement into a 5/8 rubber hose which is 19ft long emptying into a floor drain. My understanding is its to keep it filled with water to prevent sewage gas from coming up into the house. Ive never had any issues with the trap primer until recently. I started noticing large puddles of water around the 5/8 rubber hose where the trap primer line enters. When I run the laundry room taps, water pours out of the rubber hose where the trap primer line enters the 5/8 rubber hose, but it also pours out the other end into the floor drain. I thought there was a blockage, however, a drain snake passes all the way through the 5/8 rubber hose with no problem. The trap primer line goes 5 ft into the rubber hose, so there is definitely enough line in there. I have no idea why water is coming out of both ends. Any insight here would be helpful. I drew a diagram and took some photos below.

Old 05-20-21, 10:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,422 Upvotes on 3,068 Posts
Threads combined. One thread per topic.

Old 05-21-21, 02:52 PM
Received 173 Upvotes on 156 Posts
What is the purpose of this "Trap Primer"? Is it just to assure there is always water in the trap and that the water hasn't evaporated?

Old 05-22-21, 11:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,422 Upvotes on 3,068 Posts
I don't recall ever seeing anything like that here. Wondering if that's a Canadian thing.
When I look into it further..... I see electric valves and timers for filling the trap automatically.

When we look at your setup..... the floor drain is in the basement. The washer is one floor up. Your trap primer line is gravity fed from the sink..... in other words..... downhill to the drain. If it's open at both ends..... water cannot travel up. It must be sent up under pressure.

Is the larger plastic line in the floor drain the actual washer drain line ?

Old 05-22-21, 02:47 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 367 Upvotes on 327 Posts
I've seen trap primers in commercial settings. The hose connects to the sink drain, and there should just be a dribble of water coming out when you use the drain. You mentioned it's 'pouring out'. I don't think that much water should be going down the primer, I wonder if there's something wrong on the sink drain side.

The goal of the primer is to just keep enough water in the floor drain trap to keep it full.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: