Set screw on backflow preventer

Old 06-10-21, 09:19 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Set screw on backflow preventer

What is the purpose of the set screw on the backflow preventer I'm using on my hose bib? The backflow preventer is screwed on securely and seems to be working ok, but I haven't tightened the set screw yet.

Popular Reply

06-10-21, 03:15 PM
Pilot Dane
Group Moderator
Received 963 Votes on 884 Posts
Local building codes can't dictate what manufacturers produce. But, manufacturers will produce what people buy. And, because people buy non-approved hose bibs someone manufactures an add on check valve so you don't have to throw your non-approved sillcock into the recycling bin.

Old 06-10-21, 09:56 AM
Received 117 Votes on 101 Posts
The set screw is there for code reasons to make the back flow preventer non-removable. The screw is tightened until it breaks off and then cannot be removed.

A couple of years ago I installed a separate meter for outside watering and was required to add back flow preventers to all outside spigots. Fortunately the installer did not use the screw on the drain spigot for the underground sprinkler system so I can remove it when connecting a compressor to blow out the lines for winter.

Old 06-10-21, 10:55 AM
W
Thank you for the reply!
Just curious, if code is so adamant about have permanent backflow preventers on hose bibs, why not require manufacturers of hose bibs to build them into their product?

Old 06-10-21, 03:15 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 963 Votes on 884 Posts
Local building codes can't dictate what manufacturers produce. But, manufacturers will produce what people buy. And, because people buy non-approved hose bibs someone manufactures an add on check valve so you don't have to throw your non-approved sillcock into the recycling bin.

2john02458, Zorfdt voted this post useful.
Old 06-12-21, 09:56 AM
Received 113 Votes on 100 Posts
if code is so adamant about have permanent backflow preventers on hose bibs, why not require manufacturers of hose bibs to build them into their product?
Many do ........................................

Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM
W
I haven't seen them at Home Depot. And why not include them when purchasing a new hose?

BTW, what is so toxic about the water in a hose? We used to drink from hoses when I was a kid.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: