Leak in bathtub drain

Old 06-23-01, 10:15 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

My bathtub leaks about a quart of water during a 10 minute shower, soaking the carpeting along the baseboard of the adjacent hallway. I have pressurized the system by plugging the showerhead and turning on the water and cannot see a leak. All tile and grout are sealed, so this is not the problem. The only possiblility remaining is that the drain system must be leaking. Can the drain piping be accessed and fixed through the wall of an adjacent closet, or will the bathtub and/or tile need to be removed? The floor is a cement slab, no basement. I believe the bathtub is steel. From what I can see of the drain piping it is PVC, at least above the slab.

Old 06-23-01, 10:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

mztjo,
It may be nothing more than the drain needing a new ring of plumber's putty under the lip of it.
Have you tried unscrewing the drain and re-puttying it? I would try that first.
Good Luck!

Old 06-23-01, 10:57 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool Leak in bathtub drain

Thanks for the reply. Can the drain be unscrewed from the top without damaging it? Do I have to be able to access any mating threads below to retighten the drain?

Old 06-23-01, 11:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

You should be able to just unscrew the drain from above (without a backup underneath).
Just stick the handles of a pair of pliers down in the drain, and use a screwdriver to turn the pliers counter-clockwise to unscrew the drain.
Roll a pencil-sized roll of plumber's putty, wrap it around under the lip of the drain, screw it back down snuggly, and remove the excess putty.
That might just do it.
Good Luck!

Old 06-26-01, 06:27 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool Leak in bathtub drain

I removed the bathtub drain, cleaned it off and put in new plumber's putty. Bad news. Apparantly that wasn't the answer. It still leaks. It is still making the carpet wet in the adjacent closet and also in the hallway. Do you have any other suggestions for me? Where else could water be leaking from the drain system? If I cut a hole in the wall through the linen closet, which is at the faucet end of the tub, do you think I would be able to see the problem and fix it from there?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: