Water softener question

Old 06-23-01, 02:32 PM
Group Moderator
Hoping one of the plumbing gods can help me on this one:

Took the cover off the water softener brine tank the other day to see if I needed to pick up salt while I was at the hardware store and found the water level in the tank to be much higher that normal. Usually there's about 6 inches of water in bottom of tank (can't see the water until the salt level gets pretty low) that also corresponds to an indicator line on the lower end of the pickup tube.
When I looked in the level was up to the overflow elbow, so I drained the excess water and then forced a regeneration cycle. Remembered to check a couple of days later and have about 20" or so of water in tank (not up to overflow outlet), salt is about halfway to that level. The unit is about 8 years old

Question: Do I have a problem here?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-01, 02:49 PM
Group Moderator
Think I answered my own question by searching the database (should have done that first). The previous posts seem to agree on a stuck/clogged valve on the pickup tube. When I pulled mine out to check it when I was checking things, I could hear a ball moving up and down if I flipped the tube over and back upright, and I could blow through the tube with it in either direction with no restriction of air flow. So, 3 additional questions: Should I be able to blow through the tube or should I get a restriction in either the upright or upside down direction?
If I need to clean/soak it (mentioned in previous post answers) clean/soak in what? And if the valve was to be defective, are they generic items or brand specific?

Thanks.