Shower leaking through outside walls

Old 06-24-01, 12:35 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Shower in master bath borders an outside wall of the home. Just realized that while shower is running, water begins seeping out of the outside wall (through bottom layer of mortar separating the foundation below and the brick above).

A plumbing novice, but have heard something about a "shower pan" that may be affecting this? The shower is well-sealed (no holes in grout or caulk), so thinking it may be something happening out of sight beneath the shower itself.

Help?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-01, 01:09 PM
Cool

It may be the shower pan or something else, but first try re-sealing the drain lip with plumber's putty.
Unscrew the shower drain with the handles of a pair of pliers stuck down in it with a screwdriver in the pliers for leverage.
Roll a pencil-size roll of plumber's putty and wrap it around under the drain lip, and re-tighten the drain down. Remove the excess putty.
See if that doesn't stop the leaking. (If not, you're in for a major repair and re-tiling job.)
Good Luck!

Old 06-24-01, 03:31 PM
Hi non-plumber, Hi Mike,

The putty might work if the shower base is anything other than tile. If it's tile, there are two options: tear out the bottom of the shower only, or tear out the entire shower and start over.

http://www.johnbridge.com/shower_pan_replacement.htm

John

Old 06-24-01, 06:37 PM
Cool

non-plumber,
John's the man on this stuff. I have no clue. Listen to what he has to say.
Good Luck!

Old 06-24-01, 09:02 PM
Visiting Guest

Hmmm...perhaps this isn't a shower pan problem after all. In reading John's material, it sounds like a shower pan is installed beneath tiled showers. While my shower is tiled on the walls, the base is fiberglass (or is it plastic?) - meaning the floor and about four inches up to where the tile starts.

The drain appears to be PVC pipe attached directly to this solid base piece. The pipe runs down about eight inches and must curve into a trap of sorts. But that all seems to be intact which doesn't explain the leaking. In other words, I don't see a "seam" anywhere which I could reseal with plumbers putty (perhaps I'm missing something).

Do I maybe have a leaking pipe that is behind the shower somewhere? Impossible to see without tearing out the shower itself. Can't be a major leak since there is no water apparent anywhere EXCEPT the slow seeping on the outside wall of the house.

Old 06-25-01, 04:02 PM
Yeah, maybe I should have kept my nose out of here.

A plastic receptor is definitely a plumbing problem, and Old Guy knows as much about that as anyone.

Since I'm here, though, I would suggest looking closely at the joint between the wall tiles and the receptor, in addition to the drain area. And of course a leak in the piping is possible.

Scuse me. I'm outa here.

Old 06-25-01, 07:01 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up non plumber

I think you should check your tiles and grout sometime very small cracks in the grout can make a bigger leak
or check for the plumbing pipe if it is in the out sidewall has a nail driven thorough or expansion joint pulled out due to floor settling