Magnetic Water Treatment

Old 06-29-01, 07:20 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question

Does anyone have any experience with the strap on magnetic water treatment systems?? They are supposed to be better than traditional water softeners, environmentally friendly, less expensive, and portable to boot!?! Does this sound too good to be true? Any comments would be very helpful as we are considering a purchase soon. Thanks
Sandie

Old 06-29-01, 08:30 PM
J
Hello Sandie
I did quite a bit of research on water softeners and I beleive they do sound good and they are not true. They do not work acording to the sources I read. I would not spend any money one one unless a reliable resource (that you know and trust personally) or several sources that make sence tell me it is true. So as you can guess I went with the traditional method of ion exchange. By the way make sure you also do not buy more of a system than you really need as that is a waste of money as well.

Good Luck

Old 07-01-01, 09:05 AM
John,
Thanks for your input How do I determine what size I need?? After reading your post I went back to the website and tried to be objective. Maybe I am overly critical but I just couldn't shake the feeling that something was amiss. I did a search on this site and got a links page. It was fantastic! I found an ion exchange system for less than I would pay locally even with the shipping (granted I would only be saving tax plus a few bucks, but here tax adds up quick) depending on the size. We will have a propane tankless water heating system, and we have a drilled well. Any help you can offer on the size or websites with info on how to determine the size would be appreciated. Thanks again,
Sandie

Old 07-01-01, 09:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Sandie, what you need to do is get a water analysis done. Some retailers of softener systems will do this for you to determine the proper size equipment. Culligan, for instance, I think will do a free analysis, but of course then they'll hard-sell you on a Culligan system. If you're going to mail order a system that wouldn't be an option. Check at your nearest Sears store, seems to me I've seen sampling kits for a few bucks that you can mail off for a sample analysis. You might also check Yellow pages under water.

Old 07-01-01, 02:32 PM
J
I agree a water analsis needs to be done to determine the amout of hardness measured in grains the water has. Then you estimate the amout of water you will run through the softener then the unit is sized from there. The idea is to get one that does not need to regenerate every day or more. I think the suggestions in the previous post are good ideas I would add the local health department. They can test to make sure the water is safe in other ways as well as grains of hardness (you may already know this). Also when I spoke with Culligan there was no hard sell ( I think some might and many companies like that do a hard sell) but the salesman was very honest and told me the diffrence between their system and others. The main difference is the name, parts and service. If you need that they are a good company but that is always a personal choice.

Good Luck

Old 07-01-01, 07:30 PM
Thanks to everyone for your help!
I have done the test for lead and it came back negative, but it was only for lead. Also, when the well was dug, they checked for contaminants and it was also negative. I will check with our County Extension Department to see if they can help with further testing for hardness and baceria. I had wanted the well company to check for bacteria when the well was installed but it would have delayed the installation by two weeks due to the drillers busy schedule. The Health Department may tell me that I have to send it in to Atlanta for analysis and I know how that will go, send it off and wait, and wait, and wait ... kinda like rush hour traffic here! But I will check with them and if they can't do it locally, I will give Culligan a call.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: