gas line

Old 06-28-01, 11:59 AM
mik_mik
Visiting Guest
Attempting to install a gas stove & would have to run a gas line outside the house and drill through the wall just above the floor level in the kitchen. I am also planning on relocating my gas furnace in the near future, which is going to require running the gas line in the same direction. There is a “ tee right at the meter but I assume that for both furnace and the stove I’d need a ” to 1” pipe. Can I install a coupling or reducer from ” to 1” at the meter without affecting performance of appliances?
Thanks for your suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-01, 09:39 AM
plumbguy
Visiting Guest
can u clairfy what1/2#8221 means?

Old 07-01-01, 06:22 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
My Two Cents

Hello mik_mik

You do need to clearify what 1/2#8221 means, as requested by plumbguy.

For all intensive purposes, there isn't any central heating furnace that should be feed gas on any gas line less then 1 inch. No exceptions.

The central heaters BTU draw is always going to be too large for a 1/2 inch line. Even an 80,000 BTU furnace will need a minimum 3/4 inch line directly to the end of the pipe. Then a 3/4 inch flex to the gas control valve.

Some large BTU draw furnaces 100,000 BTUs and over always need a one inch gasline up to the shutoff valve on the end of the pipe. Feed pipes to these appliances should never be reduced.

Basics:
Main gas feed line throughout entire house should always minimum 1 inch. If there is 3 or more gas appliances, the pipe needs to be 1 and 1/4 inch to 1 and 1/2 inch. Smaller pipe is never an advantage. Slightly larger is always best.

The drop to a 1 inch but not less then a 3/4 line comes off the main feedline to a small gas fired central heating unit always. It's the biggest gas draw appliance a house has. Never should be feed with a 1/2 line. 3/4 inch is the minimum size.

Same rule above applies for a water heater and dryer except the last foot or so of pipe can be 1/2 inch if needed. Never reduce a gas feed line to 1/2 inch if it feeds both a water heater and a dryer on the same line.

Free standing full size stoves should always have a 1 inch feed line to the pipe shutoff valve and 7/8 inch flex connector.

Regards & Good Luck
Forum Moderator
Tom_Bartco
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.