Multiple appliances from single outdoor natural gas valve?

Old 01-23-22, 01:48 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Multiple appliances from single outdoor natural gas valve?

My home has a natural gas stub on the outside back wall. I don't know how big it is; maybe the attached picture will help.

My wife and I would like to build an outdoor living space that includes a barbeque grill, an outdoor 36" Blackstone griddle, a fire table and potentially a patio heater. Is it acceptable to run a buried natural gas line from this valve to the patio and tee off it for these appliances?

I'm well aware that this supply line is not likely to be able to allow us to use all of these appliances at once. I can't image that we would ever want to. I'm fine having to tell the wife to turn off the heater so I can grill burgers if necessary. I just don't know if such an arrangement would be legal/up to code/practical.

Old 01-23-22, 02:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,328 Upvotes on 2,987 Posts
That looks like 1/2" black iron pipe.
That should have a 1/2" cap on it for safety.

I don't know the exact code but I don't think it allows you to connect multiple items but only a mandatory use of one at a time due to undersized supply. Typically with gas you'd need a supply large enough to run all appliances at the same time. Anyone using the appliances is not required to know to use only one at a time,

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 01-25-22, 10:59 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 357 Upvotes on 319 Posts
I agree with Pete. I don't think it's a good idea, nor code-compliant, to run all those appliances off a single 1/2" pipe (or even a 3/4" pipe likely). The 1/2" pipe was probably sized for a grill.

You'll need the BTU requirements of each appliance, and a sketch of the piping distances. With that much usage, you might be best going back to the meter and teeing from there.

Old 01-25-22, 11:43 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,707 Upvotes on 1,525 Posts
First, look at every gas powered appliance including what you want to add and add up the btu's. Then start at your meter. Either look up it's specs or contact your gas company to find it's capacity. I suspect you will need new piping from the meter to your outdoor additions to provide the needed gas volume. Since you are doing all that branching off for multiple appliances is pretty easy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: