Leaking Shower-Tub Enclosure

Old 06-30-01, 10:10 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Please Help!

My upstairs shower-bathtub enclosure leaks to downstairs celing when the shower is used. Is it a broken pipe or what else could it be?

Also how do I remove the enclosure to find the problem.

Old 06-30-01, 12:53 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well we know it is not the water pipe or it would leak all the time. It is either the drain or enclosure itself. A visual inspection should tell you which one it is.

Good Luck

Old 06-30-01, 01:49 PM
Visiting Guest
Thank you for your reply. (Though I am not sure what you meant by visual inspection). A little more information....it seems to only happen if taking a long shower ( my son said he took a quick one and it didn't leak)

What I have done since posting:
I filled the tub with water and let it sit for one hour, some water was gone after the hour but no drips coming from the downstairs ceiling, am doing it again for one more hour.

Old 06-30-01, 02:55 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What I meant was look for places water is getting out of the enclosure. In this situation it is either the drain. enclosure or someplace between the shower head and the faucett. The house I moved into had a leak where someone put the shower head in the wall lightly hand tightened. The test you ran is good also turn on the tub faucett let the water go down the drain for the same duration as a shower. If there is no leak downstairs then the drain is good. Also do the same thing with the water coming out of the shower head point it so it goes in the tub and down the drain putting as little water on the enclosure as possible. These tests will tell you what is leaking.

Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: