any way to unglue PVC fittings?

Old 06-30-01, 11:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question

Does anyone know of a way to remove solvent welded (glued) PVC once it is set? I have a pump and filter that both have fittings with no room to cut and use again. I don't think it is possible but thought I'd ask anyway....

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-01, 12:50 PM
If the fittings arer put together with primer and glue it is next to impossible to get them apart. I have seen folks take joints apart after the fact by sawing the pipe close to the joint and then saw the inside of the pipe in several places take a screw driver and hammer and slowly take the pieces out. I would not even bother just to save a fitting. If it was a matter of saving work in another way I would give it a shot but not figure on it being sucessful as even guys who have done it break the fitting at times.
Also the solvent for the glue is acetone. It is commly used in finger nail polish remover.

Good Luck

Old 06-30-01, 05:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
As John indicated, just get new fittings and re-plumb it.
It's not worth the effort to try to "un-glue" PVC fittings. Your "time in life is precious", and PVC fittings and glue are cheap. LOL
Good Luck!

Old 07-02-01, 01:49 AM
actually I have (and use) a hand drill attachment called a 'rambit' that is designed to remove insert plastic pipe. The drillbit is just the right size to cut out the inserted pipe but leaves the outside hub alone, if your careful. However I mainly use them on drain/waste/vent pipe and not on pressure water supply pipe, it may weaken the plastic. If you are trying to rework pressure pipe I wouldn't reccomend using these. You should try to cut the assembly back to where you have a clean, straight piece of pipe and start over with a straight coupling.

sorry