Pro-Press for copper pipe - Opinions

Old 02-17-22, 07:45 AM
M
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Pro-Press for copper pipe - Opinions

Hello,
I did some searching on here and the internet about Pro-press copper fittings and it seems to be mostly used in commercial applications, outside of walls. I have a friend who typically helps me solder pipes when needed, in this case it's new shower valve. He said he wants to use Pro-press instead of soldering because it's easier and the latest and greatest. I have my concerns about doing anything but soldering inside walls.

What's the consensus on this forum? Is Pro-Press a safe route to go in this day and age?

Old 02-17-22, 08:05 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I can pretty much justify any tool for a DIY project, this one would be a stretch!

Old 02-17-22, 08:24 AM
M
Agreed but my friend has all the tools and fittings, he gets them at work, so it would be no cost to me. It's just a matter if it's a good idea to crimp pipes inside walls. Seems risky since there is no way to see if there failing until you see water stains on the ceiling.

Old 02-17-22, 08:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
This is typical resistance to anything new. It's new to you, but not new to the industry. It's been around since the late 1980s. So you have nothing to worry about.

https://www.viega.us/content/dam/vie...ropress_en.pdf

Old 02-17-22, 08:47 AM
M
Thanks. I was looking for literature but didn't find anything like you provided.

Old 02-17-22, 08:54 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Notice the literature says that non professional use may void the warranty. In other words, if the user knows what he's doing, you have nothing to worry about. If he doesn't know what he's doing, then anything could go wrong. That's true with anything.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 02-17-22, 10:06 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
I've worked with a couple plumbers and HVAC installers who have switched over almost exclusively to ProPress when working with copper. The time savings (and therefore cost savings) is significant.

I would absolutely trust an installation done with them.

For the DIYers out there, they are cheaper non-powered press tools. ($195)
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Bluefin-...1-2-3-4-1-Jaws
I haven't tried it, and the reviews say they aren't all that convenient due to the space needed to open the handles in tight spaces, but certainly more at the DIY price point rather than the Milwaukee or Rigid battery press kits.

Old 02-18-22, 04:10 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
I have only seen it being used bye a plumber. Looked simple. The only concern i would have, is how long would it take for the O ring to fail if it would ever fail.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: