graywater options

Old 07-01-01, 11:19 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I am curious what options I have. My basement floor drains back up whenever there is a heavy downpour.
I have deduced the problem to my gutters being tied into the sewage drains, I ran my garden hose in the gutter and the floor drain levels rose, turn off hose and levels return to normal.
When the floor floods it has a lot of leaves and some fecal matter in it.
The house is plumbed into the municipal sewage, I assume the municipality has seperate lines for both the sewage and gray water, though I do not know for sure at this point. If they do have both lines it appears I am only tied into one of them. the the piping is old terra cotta.

What options do i have to fix this problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-01, 08:01 PM
Admin Emeritus
My Two Cents

Hello mike015

Could be the sewage drain line is restricted with gutter debris. Could be the roof air vent is restricted with those leaves. Try running a snake through the lines.

The gutter drainlines may have been added later and the house drainline could be too small to handle the water volumn.

Worse yet, the gutter drain lines aren't legally suppose to be tied into the sewage lines? You may need to inquire at the city building and safety department.

There usually isn't two seperate waste lines in the street. Only in the houses plumbing system is there two seperate lines.

A Forum Moderator
Tom_Bartco
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.