Water Pressure Gauge and App Notification

Old 03-07-22, 07:05 PM
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Water Pressure Gauge and App Notification

During Traveling

I was planning to turn off the water but realized that if I do that, rodents might chew on unpressured PEX Pipes. I don't know if the pressure makes any difference but have had the PEX Pipes installed 3 years ago. To date, there has been no problem with PEX Pipes. I do hear roof rats in the attic once in a while but this year has been good since I found RatX and seems like it is killing them before they are getting into the house. I already tried to seal all entry points in the attic but once in a while, still hear one. Yes, I understand that I should hire a professional and plug up all entry points in the attic.

I also need to leave the water on for the sprinkler and timer.

Two good things are none of the PEX Pipes run into the attic since I live in a two story home. Also, rats do not go into my attic during the summer time since it is super hot.

For now, is there a water pressure unit of some type that I can connect to a faucet and will send me an APP notification to my phone when the pressure of the water changes? Similar to this or the meter infront of our houses:

https://www.amazon.com/CARBO-Instrum.../dp/B07PGXSWF5

Old 03-07-22, 10:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
This is one way to monitor water...... water pressure monitoring.

Old 03-07-22, 11:06 PM
Yes, looks like what I am looking for. It seems that it needs a monthly service account?

I saw the video where he just wrap it around the meter? How does it work Mr. Max?

Old 03-08-22, 01:56 AM
Group Moderator
Most water meters are made of brass. They have an impeller that's down in the water stream.
At the other end of the impeller shaft is a magnet that turns to drive the meter with no actual connection. That water sensor must use the spinning magnet to monitor water flow.

Old 03-08-22, 04:35 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
A rodent will chew into a plastic pipe or electrical wire whenever they want. It doesn't matter if the pipe is pressurized or the wire hot. So, leaving the water turned on offers no protection against vermin.

Also, a app on your phone telling you the water pressure is almost no use. If you leave the system on it will stay pressurized spraying water on the floor with no indication from the app. After all, you can open a faucet all the way or run your sprinklers and still have water pressure so it's going to take a MASSIVE leak for it to be detected via a loss of water pressure if you leave the system turned on. If you leave the system turned off even a small leak will become visible to the pressure sensor after enough time.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 03-08-22, 08:07 PM
Group Moderator
I believe I mis-labeled that kit I posted the link to. It shows actual water flow/usage..... not pressure.

Old 03-20-22, 04:54 AM
Thanks Pete and Pilot Dane

Old 03-20-22, 07:14 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Also, if a rodent does chew through your pipe wouldn't you want it to be unpressurized?

Old 03-20-22, 08:12 AM
I prefer to be at home and it is pressurized so that I immediately know there is a rodent issue to be taken care of.

Old 03-20-22, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
As said, monitoring water pressure will not tell you if a rodent makes a hole in your waterline.
The flow rate that would cause the pressure to drop enough to trip a pressure switch would be too high to be practical.
In other words you would need to set it at a pressure that would trip every time you used any water.
Now that you know it makes no difference to rodents if the line is pressurized your first instinct to turn off the water would be the right thing to do.

Old 03-20-22, 05:45 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
If I had rats getting on my roof and into my attic I'd probably first start by hiring the best exterminator I could find! If that didn't get the problem under control I might consider either selling or burning it down!

Old 03-20-22, 11:28 PM
Unfortunately Casual Joe, either I have had bad luck or something. I had hired three different exterminator companies and none was able to find the entry in the attic. My neighbors are actually experiencing worst. At least, I don't have it in the house. I have been living here for over 20 years and only in the last 8 years, they some how started to get into the side walls and into the attic.

In the last few years, the rodent issue has been mostly under control since I am ridding them before they make it into the attic.

I am still looking for the entry point in the attic but afraid will have to hire a roofing company to look under the tiles.

All the exterminator companies are doing are just laying traps which I can do it myself. Sorry, selling or burning it down is not an option.

Old 03-21-22, 08:05 PM
I
Received 35 Upvotes on 29 Posts
For the rats, rat trap with a candied pecan. They'll be caught within minutes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: