compression fittings

Old 07-02-01, 09:55 AM
Visiting Guest
I recently installed a shut-off valve to my shower water supply. I used a compression fitting. The fitting leaks on one end which I believe is because the pipe is not quite a straight shot to the fitting.

Questions is, is it o.k. to now solder on top of the compression fitting or do I need to use a different valve?

Thanks!

m wolf

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-01, 02:24 PM
Cool

A compression fitting needs to be on the pipe just right, or as you've seen, it will leak.
A pro plumber would never do this (I'm not one, so I have no pride...lol...I just do whatever works for me). I simply smear a little clear silicone caulk on the ferrule ring before tightening on the nut.
Seals it every time.
Good luck!

Old 07-02-01, 03:16 PM
I would try the Old Guy's idea (I've got pride but I'm not a plumber ). If that doesn't work or you don't feel comfortable doing it, don't solder over the compression fitting you are asking for more problems. You have to many differant types of metal there to get a good solder joint going.
I would remove the valve, cut the pipe (neat and straight), install a new ferral. Install the shut off and hope for the best.