Tubs sinking, not by design either!

Old 07-03-01, 07:35 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Hi Group!

New member, and before I ask my question, I'd like to thank all for the sharing of knowledge... In 10 minutes of browsing, I have already picked up a number of tips that will be put to good use!

I own and manage apartments. I recently bought two buildings that have suffered from ignored maintenance and repair for YEARS....

In many of the apartments, the tile floors in the bathrooms have sunk at one side, and the tubs have also sunk towards the drain side, thankfully! I pulled a ceiling down today and found:
1) The tile floor has sunk due to the 1940's builder having put the underlayment boards onto scabs on the joists. These scabs have pulled from the joists, in one area I noted old termite damage. This was directly under where the (since abandoned) radiator was.

2) The tub edge appears to have pushed into the joist, causing the sink. The front of the tub has pulled down from the wall tile 7/8".

My question is this: How can I raise the tub up safely, without damage to it or me, and how can I "block it" in place so that it stays where it was originally? Bear in mind that I spent a number of years as a Master Auto Tech, and grew up with parents who were "serial house renovators" so I am very comfortable with tools etc.

Many thanks to all who read thru this!

Old 07-03-01, 09:33 PM
plumbguy
Visiting Guest
I would try a floor jack while someone watches the tub to see if comes up safely in line where it needs to go.
you may need to remove a few tile squares as well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: