pressure testing question

Old 07-23-22, 08:33 PM
I
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
pressure testing question

I need to pressure test a new gas line. I have a gauge installed on that line downstream of the meter. The problem is I have a pressure regulator (Itron B42 itron-b42-series-residential-and-light-commercial-regulator-spec-sheet.pdf) that does not allow any pressure build-up downstream. How do I either isolate it or set it for the pressure testing? Is there an adjustment on this regulator for pressure testing on the outlet side?
Thanks.

Old 07-23-22, 11:50 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Just remove the regulator, test the line then reinstall.

Old 07-24-22, 12:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
a. Mount a pressure gauge downstream of the regulator to monitor the downstream pressure.
b. With the downstream pressure valve closed, slowly open the inlet valve.
The outlet pressure should rise to slightly more than the setpoint.
Verify there are no leaks and all connections are tight.

Old 07-24-22, 05:52 AM
I
Here is the setup.

Marq1: How can I remove the regulator without removing the meter? Should I remove the meter and cap the outlet? The meter is 10 PSIG MAOP.

PJmax: This is the startup procedure. I want to pressure test the new line before the startup. Is there a way to do it without disconnecting the meter? Perhaps, by setting the regulator in the correct mode.

Thanks.

Old 07-24-22, 05:58 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
I would never pressure test with the meter connected and not isolated. Maybe the meter could handle it, but I've never seen it done before.

If you're testing the whole system, I would disconnect the meter and cap it there.

Are you adding to the system? Or replacing it all once it goes into the house?

Old 07-24-22, 06:13 AM
I
Thanks. Adding to the existing system. Will I need to reset the meter once it is disconnected and then reconnected? I think the pressure regulator will need a reset by pulling the plunger.

Old 07-24-22, 08:29 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 278 Upvotes on 254 Posts
You cannot get a foolproof leak test using pressure with the meter still connected.

But you can try this:
1. Seal up the system downstream of the meter.
2. Attach your gauge.
3. Pressurize the system using the incoming gas pressure.
4. Turn off the main gas valve.
5. Wait the prescribed time.
6, Note whether the pressure on your gauge held steady or was lost.

You should not need to break the gas company seal to do an official leak test. Unhook only the load side of the meter. Seal the end of the pipe and do the test with your own air compressor or bike pump...

Last edited by AllanJ; 07-24-22 at 08:46 AM.
ilya80 voted this post useful.
Old 07-24-22, 02:41 PM
I
What seal on the meter are you referring to? I don't see a seal on the 2 large nuts on top of the meter. Where is it? Which seal am I opening if I unscrew these 2 nuts?

Why do you think testing it with gas will work? I tried adding a little bit of air through the test port (downstream) and all air comes out through the pressure regulator. The pressure dial does not move even a little bit. I can hear the air hissing out through the test port if I push the pin with my finger an hour later, so it is not wide open and holds something, but not much pressure can build up. I suspect it is set to something like 7 w.c., by design, which is 0.25 PSIG, and I am not detecting it with my gauge.

Thanks.

Old 07-28-22, 07:27 AM
I
Hi, I went with #2 method by AllanJ (load side) and it worked well.

Thank you!

Old 08-25-22, 09:32 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 278 Upvotes on 254 Posts
On second though, I think that all gas appliances should be disconnected from the section of gas plumbing in question before doing a pressure test. Not sure whether a multi-PSI test will seep through ordinary gas cocks.

A few years ago there was a failure of a regulator in a street in the Andover Mass area causing excessive pressure in gas mains serving hundreds of customers. Many appliances were damaged. This suggests to me that testing using pressure more than twice the 6" water column or 0.25 PSIG household pressure can endanger appliances.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: