Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Plumbing and Piping
Reload this Page >

Installed incorrectly for 20 yrs? (Compression fit washer valve, copper to PVC)

Old 10-15-22, 10:05 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

For my washing machine cutoff box, 20 year old house, I have to replace the cold water valve because it no longer can turn the water all the way off.

I managed to find the identical valve on Oatey's web site (that's a story to itself, you have to click into the "variations" link once you reach valves, to see them all, otherwise you could think they just show 2 or 3. )

However, on taking the original off, there was no compression barrel in place, the PVC tip was just stuck into the tapered inside of the valve and tightened down via the bolt. And held fast for 20 years without leaking. (Using the pictures, the old way was the box, the visible Nut on the box with the PVC pipe in place within the nut (the nut can rotate independently without turning the pipe), then the valve just tightened/screwed into the bolt (no barrel.)

When I screw the new one on, if I do it the same way as it was before I did anything (no barrel), when I reach what feels like the right amount of tightness (nice and tight, resisting further turning unless I were to really turn on the brute force), the valve is unfortunately facing the wrong way. Let's call that my question 1.

But the bigger question 2, was it just installed incorrectly in the first place? Should the barrel have been in place to begin with? (Or perhaps there's a barrel deeper down I'm not seeing?)

Since I did find an exact match, I was hoping for a quick and easy replacement just of the valve, not having to replace the whole box, or to go inside the drywall. I'm curious what those more knowledgeable than me think. See pictures.

Old 10-15-22, 10:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,338 Upvotes on 2,997 Posts
Does the old nut come off the pipe?
If it doesn't.... there is some type of crimp ring inside the nut.

There cannot be just a nut on the pipe. The nut just slides on the pipe.
There may not be a separate visible crimp ferrule like the new one has.

Old 10-15-22, 10:42 AM
Testing removing it with a pretty mild amount of prying, nothing extreme, the nut is in place pretty firmly (although as I mentioned, I can twirl it a bit, without it twirling the PVC pipe with it.)

Here's a new photo of how far down the new barrel sits, if I put it inside the nut. (The dental floss was just my safeguard for getting it back out after popping it in, in the event it might have gotten stuck.)

I'm tempted to agree. I was getting nervous about how tight I was going to have to screw the valve back on, to get the spigot pointing outward It was pointing to the back corner (right side) at the point I was running into real resistance, so I wanted to proceed with caution before putting my muscles on.

Old 10-15-22, 10:50 AM
Group Moderator
It would be highly doubtful just screwing the valve back on would seal.

You'll need two wrenches. One to hold the valve and one to turn the nut.
If luck holds out.... the old nut and ring will seal ok.

I like to tighten compressions fairly tight but not rmaxed.
If there is a leak I tighten approx 1/4 turn.

Old 10-15-22, 11:03 AM
Iím torn between using the ferrule or not.

Not has me putting it back close to the way it was before but having to tighten more than my comfort level.

Using it seems better though. I was really trying to avoid bashing out the drywall to see whatís below the box

Old 10-15-22, 11:11 AM
Group Moderator
You can't install another ring. You'd need to remove existing. There can't be two.
That would mean either forcing the nut off or trying to slide the nut down exposing a ring.

If it was me... I'd try installing the new valve on existing.
You'll know right away if it doesn't seal.

Old 10-15-22, 11:16 AM
Btw, yes, even I knew to use two wrenches.

hereís a new pic though, magnifier to the rescue. Looks like a ferrule down there to me. Iíll just overpower it.

Old 10-15-22, 11:23 AM
Group Moderator
A compression ferrule gets crimped onto the pipe as the nut is tightened. So in order to replace it... you'd need to slide the nut below it and cut it off very carefully with a hacksaw because if you nick the pipe... even a new ferrule won't seal.

Old 10-15-22, 11:32 AM
So far so good. Iíll probably live to regret this but Iíll change the hot too.

thanks for the help, yet again!

Old 10-15-22, 12:39 PM
Group Moderator
The problem re-using the old fitting is that it won't seal when installing the new valve.
If yours sealed now..... you should never have a problem with it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: