Sewer Odor in Basement

Old 07-09-01, 02:44 PM
cmb60631
Visiting Guest
Sewer odor is coming from the floor drains in basement. At times it is mild but then it gets stronger. We've tried to leave a hose running with water to flush but the odor comes back every time. One is so bad we keep it covered because it is near the washer and it's hard to do laundry without gagging.

Old 07-09-01, 05:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Drains have traps to hold water to prevent sewer gas from entering the basement or house.
A. Either the traps are leaking, OR
B. There's just not enough water put in them on a regular basis to keep it from evaporating, OR
C. You have a partially clogged vent stack that is causing the water in the traps to be siphoned out when other water (washing machine?)is draining through the system.
The first thing to do is to go up on the roof and locate the vent pipe(s), clean out any leaves or debris that you can reach, snake the drain with a plumber's snake from top to bottom, and then flush it good with a water hose sprayer.
That will most likely solve the problem, along with regular filling of the traps.
Good Luck!

Old 07-10-01, 12:04 PM
cmb60631
Visiting Guest
Cool sewer smell in basement

thanks for the help! guess what i'll be doing after work!

Old 07-18-01, 07:11 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile Here's Another Option

I have had the same problems that you are having and religiously check to ensure that there is enough water in the floor drain to avoid escaping sewer gas. I've had master plumbers in to check the vent stack and to make sure there were no leaks. They found that there wasn't enough water in the drain and told me to just keep filling the drain when I noticed that the water was low. But sometimes this isn't enough. The trick that I use is to fill the drain with a quart of fresh water and then top it off with a couple of tablespoons of cooking oil (vegetable oil works fine). You might try it and see if it works for you. Good luck.

Old 07-18-01, 09:35 AM
cmb60631
Visiting Guest
Smile

thank you. i will try the oil. now that i think about it two drains i see no water and in one drain the water is down about a foot from the floor. how far down from the floor should the water level be?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: