Drain block

Old 03-23-23, 07:13 PM
K
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Drain block

We have two drain lines ... the one for kitchen, washer and wet bar blocks frequently since last 3-4 years. In last two years, it blocks within 2-3 days after we are back from our annual 3 week vacation. Don't know if it is coincidence

When it blocks , I can see black stinky mud like stuff in the wet bar.
since last 2 years I am calling professional.
Any idea what is going wrong and a permanent solution?

Old 03-24-23, 03:09 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
That is very little information to work with. You could have a clog somewhere is not being properly cleared/removed. Or, there is something physically wrong with your drain piping. Possibly there isn't enough slope/fall to drain properly.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 03-24-23, 03:44 AM
K
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the reply Pilot Dane. Do you recommend a video inspection?

Old 03-24-23, 04:46 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
I agree with PD. You have a poor slope, and the water is not draining completely. If the piping can't be altered, I suggest you use a hose occasionally to flush the drain. Don't use ant drain cleaners. They will only cause more problems than fixes.
Are you able to locate the area or spot of the clog? If so, you can install a union at that point for easy access. Ask your plumber.

Old 03-24-23, 07:36 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Video inspections can be very helpful... though I very rarely use them. You have to keep in mind that it's nothing more than an inspection so the cost is sunk, you still have to pay for any repair needed. In most cases a good plumber can figure out what's going on without the expense of video.

Old 03-24-23, 08:06 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Consider buying an endoscope. That way you can see for yourself what might be clogging the drain line. They are not expensive. True they may not be as good as plumber's video but they are useful to have.

Old 03-25-23, 04:36 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 419 Upvotes on 372 Posts
When the plumber has snaked, do they use a standard cable snake? Running hot water at the same time?

The kitchen sink tends to add grease and soap scum to the pipes. A snake can easily punch a hole through a grease clog, but often you end up with a 1/2" hole in the grease-filled pipe.

Is it older metal pipe? Or newer plastic? This actually might be a good use of the enzyme cleaners. They eat away at grease slowly - so don't work well for clogs, but slow blockages they can help.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: