stem stuck in hot water side of tub

Old 07-13-01, 07:19 AM
Visiting Guest
Angry

I have a American Standard hot water stem in our bathtub that will not come out. I have tried all lubricants and heat to remove it. The stem is about 15-20 yrs old. It is leaking up to 15 gals of hot water a day. Will I have to cut through the wall and cut the copper pipe and then replace the whole piece or is there and easier way.

Old 07-13-01, 10:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

The stem is not going to come out by itself, if that's what you're trying to do.
You have to remove the entire valve assembly that the stem is in. (You can do this from the tub side.)
Remove the handle and the bonnet, and find the right size valve socket that fits the hexagonal piece on the assembly, and remove it counter-clockwise.

Valve Socket Set
Replace the washer on the end of the stem, and check the seat for the washer that is left in the wall fitting.
If the seat is corroded (and has a square opening), remove it with a seat wrench, and replace it, too. Use a flat wrap or two on the threads of the seat.
Go to "Repair/Fix-It" above in the Plumbing section, and find your type of faucet for an illustrated how-to.
If you need any help, just come back on this thread and ask.
Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: