Strange looking outdoor faucet

Old 12-01-23, 07:55 AM
G
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Strange looking outdoor faucet

Hello,

my outdoor faucet is dripping. Probably I have to replace the washer. I watched some YouTube (YT) videos about replacing the washer, but my faucet seems to look differently compared to what I saw on YT.

Here is a picture:

I would appreciate any help with regards to how to take the faucet apart or off the pipe.

Many thanks, Richard

Old 12-01-23, 08:04 AM
G
If you look at the picture below, I have unscrewed the screw labeled A,
as well as the little screw inside the thing you turn, labeled B.
However, nothing was moving or nothing I could pull out.

Thanks, Richard
P.S. Sorry the letters A and B are so small.

Old 12-01-23, 08:47 AM
G
Hello again,

suddenly I had the urge to go and scrape some of the paint off and what a surprise.
I think now I have found the end piece of the copper pipe.
See pic:

So I guess I go with one pair of pliers onto the copper piece (A) and hold it tight and with another plier to the whitish bit and turn the the white part anti-clockwise, whilst the water having been shut off. Would that work? And should I spray on some WD 40 first?

Thanks again, Richard

Old 12-01-23, 09:43 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,107 Upvotes on 1,886 Posts
Put your wrench on the fat part of the valve body to prevent it from turning when you loosen the packing nut (A). You may need to remove the small screw (B) and pull the knob off to unscrew the packing nut all the way or you can unscrew/open the knob to back it out and create more room. After the packing nut (A) is completely loose or removed you have to turn the valve stem or knob to unscrew the valve stem out of the body.

All letters reference your first picture, not the second.

Even if your valve doesn't look like the pictures and videos you've seen they're all pretty much the same. But, we can't see the valve's shape to identify it since all your pictures are straight down from above.

Old 12-01-23, 11:03 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 414 Upvotes on 368 Posts
Don't try to unscrew the whole valve from the copper pipe. I'm 95% certain it's soldered on. Attempting to unscrew it won't end well.

If you can't fix it by replacing the washer, you'll probably have to cut the pipe inside and install a new faucet. It's a good opportunity to install a frost-free one if you live in a freezing climate.

It's possible you may be able to get a torch in there and un-solder it, but it'll be a challenge - and I'd be aware of what's on the inside to not catch fire to any paper-faced insulation on the interior. Unlikely... but worth keeping an eye on.

Old 12-01-23, 11:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,881 Upvotes on 3,478 Posts
That valve is soldered on to the copper pipe. It cannot be removed without a torch.
At this point the pipe is too short to cut.

A is the copper pipe.
B is the valve soldered onto the copper pipe.
C is the solid valve body.
D is the only removable part on that valve.

You need to loosen nut D and also turn out the valve insert.

Typically you would remove the handle and nut D.
Then you could spin the faucet shaft out.

Old 12-03-23, 08:02 PM
G
Thanks guys, you are really GREAT!!!

Just watched a YouTube video where the guy spoke as well about the two options of soldered on or screwed on.

I did loosen the nut D, but what do you mean by 'turn out the valve insert'?

And I did take out the screw in the middle of the handle, but nothing moved or could get pulled out.

With appreciation, Richard

Old 12-04-23, 05:55 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,107 Upvotes on 1,886 Posts
"...but what do you mean by 'turn out the valve insert'?"
Open the valve. Turn it counter clockwise.

Old 12-04-23, 08:22 AM
G
Good morning,

had a look at daylight this wonderful Florida morning and yes, the valve is soldered on.

Late in the day yesterday my wife wanted to use the faucet to water or hose some plants. So I tightened the nut (D) and connected a hose. Now there is no leak!!! Maybe the nut (D) is all that was causing the problem. In any case, wife is happy, no leakage of any kind right now, so I will leave it alone since I have as well an irrigation issue.

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate your support and have a great day, Richard

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: