Toilet not filling

Old 07-15-01, 05:12 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Years ago I pulled up my toilet, removed the linoleum, painted the floor and reseated the toilet, new wax ring and all. The flange was sticking up, but I propped the toilet on home repair books, and it worked fine -- no leaking. A few months ago, I had someone tile the floor, but made certain the proper wax ring, etc. were installed. The tank fills, the toilet flushes completely, but the bowl does not fill up. Moreover, sometimes a couple hours later the water level in the bowl will be different -- higher OR lower! This happens even when I'm positive the dog has not been drinking out of it. I had the shower tiled too, so the water lines to that were turned off at the same time as the toilet turnoff. What could be happening? I have even tried "priming" the toilet by pouring water up to the "old" fill level. I would appreciate any help.

Old 07-15-01, 05:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 67 Votes on 56 Posts
I'm stumped on a bowl level getting LOWER over time since there's no way short of a crack in the porcelain for the water to leave the bowl. If the bowl is not filling after flushing, the refill hose that runs from the flush mechanism to the overflow tube is either disconnected or blocked (or the outlet for the hose on the flush mechanism is clogged). At the same time the tank is refilling, water should be flowing from the hose, down the overflow tube, to fill the bowl. A HIGHER level in the bowl over time is likely a leaky flapper valve. You can check this by putting some food coloring in the tank when it's full and checking the bowl for color after a couple of hours.

Old 07-15-01, 06:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

This could be caused by several things.
You either need to replace the toilet tank water inlet valve assembly with a $7 buck Fluid Master, or
check the holes under the rim of the toilet for clogs,
(clean out the holes with a coathanger wire, or duct tape them up and pour in lime and scale remover in the tank to dissolve whatever may be blocking them), or
the chain may be too long, allowing the flapper to close too soon. Shorten the chain to where it just allows the flapper to seal completely.
I tend to agree with the-tow-guy, I think it has to do with the flapper. You might just solve the problem by replacing the flapper.
If the water in the bowl is getting lower, then that could be caused by a partially clogged vent, which is causing it to be siphoned out whenever water is run through a drain elsewhere. Go up on the roof over the bathroom, clean out the vent pipe of whatever you can reach, snake the vent pipe from top to bottom with a plumber's snake, and then flush it with a water hose sprayer.
One of these is bound to solve it.
Good Luck!

Old 07-15-01, 06:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

This could be caused by several things.
You either need to replace the toilet tank water inlet valve assembly with a $7 buck Fluid Master, or
make sure that the water tube is clipped to the top of the overflow tube and flowing fully into it, or
check the holes under the rim of the toilet for clogs,
(clean out the holes with a coathanger wire, or duct tape them up and pour in lime and scale remover in the tank to dissolve whatever may be blocking them), or
the chain may be too long, allowing the flapper to close too soon. Shorten the chain to where it just allows the flapper to seal completely.
I tend to agree with the-tow-guy, I think it has to do with the flapper. You might just solve the problem by replacing the flapper. (Clean the flapper seat with steel wool).
If the water in the bowl is getting lower, then that could be caused by a partially clogged vent, which is causing it to be siphoned out whenever water is run through a drain elsewhere.
Go up on the roof over the bathroom, clean out the vent pipe of whatever you can reach, snake the vent pipe from top to bottom with a plumber's snake, and then flush it with a water hose sprayer.
One of these is bound to solve it.
Good Luck!

Old 07-15-01, 06:33 PM
Visiting Guest
I was worried that during re-piping the shower fixtures, we had lost "total pressure," if there is such a thing, to the bathroom -- that there was air in the pipes where water should be. Climb on the roof, huh? I shall try the flapper fix first, lol. Thanks, guys; you're great!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: