Water stain?

Old 02-22-24, 10:31 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water stain?

Is this a water stain?

Sits right below our main bath tub drain which we hardly ever use but on the weekend we had a plumber come over for some repairs - turned off the main water valve and turned it on again and asked me flush out some air and water - so I turned on the bath tub and made a loud whoosh from the air gushing out. We only noticed this stain two days later? Could it be related to this?

Old 02-23-24, 03:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 840 Upvotes on 737 Posts
That looks like it might be a water stain. I'd keep an eye on it for awhile. Once you are convinced it's not growing you should apply a solvent based primer [to seal the stain] and then touch up the paint.

Old 02-23-24, 07:02 AM
H
Don't worry about fixing the leak

Old 02-23-24, 07:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Do we know there is a leak? or is it just some water from the repair?
If there is a active leak that spot will get worse.

Old 02-23-24, 12:18 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,182 Upvotes on 1,952 Posts
You said you had a plumber doing work. Was work being done in that area?

That looks like a water stain/wetness. If it wasn't there before then a leak caused it. You can get up there and feel the stained and unstained areas to see if the stain feels damp or is cooler to the touch. If you have or can rent or borrow a thermal (FLIR) camera it will clearly show the spot if it is wet/damp.

Old 02-23-24, 03:48 PM
H
Plumber was not doing work on the bath tub.

the work was being done on an adjacent sink

I think it happened when he asked me to turn on the bath tub faucet after the main valve to the house was turned on. There was a loud gush of air and wonder if the pressure ripped a pipe - sorry if I don't make any sense.

the stain is not particularly wet but definitely new

like I said we don't use the bath tub - can't even remember the last time I turned it on before this. Should I turn it on again to see if leak gets bigger or just call a plumber and hope he has the camera and can figure it out ?

if it's a leak do they have to cut the drywall from below to access it?

Last edited by Homer1977; 02-23-24 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-24-24, 03:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd turn it on and listen along with observing the wet portion of the ceiling.
While it depends on what/where is leaking it's not uncommon to need to cut an access hole below.

Old 02-24-24, 05:12 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,182 Upvotes on 1,952 Posts
If he was working on the sink it's possible enough water was spilled to make that stain. I would run some water in the tub for 10 minutes to see if the wet spot grows. If so you know it is the tub leaking. Give it several hours to see If the wet spot doesn't get any bigger then run water in the sink for 10 minutes to see if the spot grows. If it doesn't then it's possible it was water spilled when doing the repair work. But if the spot grows with either test you do have a leak.

marksr voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: