New Sink Faucet w/ old plumbing

Old 03-01-24, 03:55 PM
O
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
New Sink Faucet w/ old plumbing

I'm looking at installing a new bathroom sink faucet but am concerned about the existing plumbing underneath the sink. The house was built in the 70's so I think it uses a P-trap that isn't standard size. Take a look:

I did install new faucets on the other sinks but not sure how to approach this one since there seems to be putty towards the top of the piping and a center "Tee" that connects to the shower off to the left. Is there any special tools or techniques I'll need?

Thanks!

Oriel

Old 03-01-24, 06:18 PM
C
Received 173 Upvotes on 141 Posts
Well, that drain is a bit of a kludge, but doesn't appear to be leaking so I'd just leave it alone if it's working ok. You don't need to touch the drain to replace the faucet as long as you're not changing the sink....Just means an uncomfortable period on your back in a tight space.

Old 03-01-24, 08:34 PM
O
Oh the faucet comes with a new drain assembly. That's why I'd like to change both. The hardware there currently was built with the home 😬

Old 03-02-24, 04:13 AM
B
Received 302 Upvotes on 267 Posts
Why don't you just purchase a faucet only or store the new drain in "use someday" box?

Old 03-02-24, 06:58 AM
C
Received 173 Upvotes on 141 Posts
Well it looks like a standard 1 1/4 tailpiece on the current drain, and the new one is likely the same. The putty at the top is not necessary if the drain is installed properly. Just peel the putty off and discard. You'll have to undo the pop up lever and loosen the big nut that will be under the putty, along with the top nut of the Tee. Usually the section where the pop up lever enters the drain unscrews from the rest of the drain so you can pull part of the old drain up out of the sink and pull the rest out of the Tee.

Old 03-02-24, 01:45 PM
O
The current one is just old and crispy. The new one matches the style, color and is a push-to-stop.

It doesn't sound like there's a lot to it outside of a little elbow grease.

Old 03-04-24, 10:52 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
I agree, looks like a standard 1.25" slip-fit trap. The 'dishwasher' adapter is odd to have on a bathroom vanity, but you can find a similar 1.25" fitting in any hardware store.

I think the putty at the top is stopping a leak, so like you, I'd replace the tailpiece too. Whether or not you need to replace the dishwasher portion (silver) or the trap is up to you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: