how a toilet works

Old 07-16-01, 02:01 PM
Visiting Guest
Where can I find information on how a toilet works? Something is clogged, because it takes twenty minutes for the tank to refill. Is there a filter that needs to be cleaned, or possibly has rust collected somewhere that I need to get out?

Thanks,
Stuart

Old 07-16-01, 03:52 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The easiest way to fix what you are talking about is to go to home depot and get a fluid master valve for the inside of the tank and replace as per directions. Basically on the water you have a shutoff at the wall and a supply pipe coming up from that on most installations. The toilet has a valve inside the tank that shuts off the water after it has reached a certain level. In that valve is the most likly source of the restriction.

Good Luck

Old 07-16-01, 04:04 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm not a plumber, and the plumbers here do an excellent job, but when you want in-depth knowledge of something like a commode, you have to go see Terry Love. Somewhere on the following site you'll find more than you'll ever want to know about toilets.

http://www.terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm

You're welcome.

John Bridge

Old 07-19-01, 07:56 PM
Visiting Guest
The rate at which the tank fills is determined by the flush val or ballcok,like a fluid master. You usually adj this by turning the thumb screw on the val. Brass ball cocks or flush vals are better and last longer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: