Walk in shower

Old 04-18-24, 10:24 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Walk in shower

I have a few questions. Installing a wall in shower. How hi up do I install the diverter? Is there a formula for the depth of the diverter? Cement board/tile thickness/mortar ? And the height of the shower head. Itís rain type head. Thanks

Old 04-18-24, 11:57 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,221 Upvotes on 1,982 Posts
When you say diverter do you mean the valve you use to turn it on/off and adjust temperature? If so, pick what's good for you. Taller people want it higher, shorter people lower. The same goes for the showerhead. A true rainfall showerhead is mounted in the ceiling it can "rain" down.

As far as the thicknesses you add up the thickness of the materials you are using as cement board, tile and the grout layer can be different thicknesses.

I don't know what you mean by diverter depth? Tubs have diverters most showers do not. The depth of the shower valve installation depends on the faucet and how the wall is finished. Shower faucets come with installation instructions.

Old 04-18-24, 12:14 PM
W
Received 24 Upvotes on 20 Posts
Showers with a hand held can have a diverter. When my shower was built the plumber asked me if I had any preference for locations. I said no so he put them at what he called standard height.

The fixtures are Kohler and the water control is at 52", the diverter at 58" and the shower head is at 80". I agree that a rain shower head should be on the ceiling.

Old 04-18-24, 02:14 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,221 Upvotes on 1,982 Posts
I guess we should clarify. You only have a diverter if there is something to divert. If it's a shower with one rain head then you don't have a diverter. You would have a diverter if you want a rain head in the ceiling and a traditional showerhead in the wall. The diverter would allow you to choose which of the two or both that you want to operate.

Old 04-18-24, 03:11 PM
W
Received 24 Upvotes on 20 Posts
PD I have a shower with a hand held and a separate valve that diverts the water from the shower head to the hand held with a separate diverter valve - that's what it's called in the manual. Are you thinking of a shower valve with an integrated diverter like a shower/tub valve?

Am I missing something here?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: